Purchase & Sale Denied retail return item - return shipping cost

dingo

I own an online store. The return policy is clearly outlined on the website as well as on the enclosed packing slip. As with all retailers, an item is acceptable for return when it includes the original packaging and tags from the manufacturer as well as it is in new, unused condition. A customer contacted me after a month and asked for their packing slip saying they had tried to contact us before. Benefit of doubt, I sent her one as well as a return authorization. Upon receiving the jacket it was not only missing original tags and packaging, it clearly had been worn. Is there any reason I should be responsible for paying to send the jacket back?

You have the return authorization so it seems you did accept the shipping cost.
Have you already provided a refund? If not, consider a partial refund to recoup your loss.

I am not giving her a refund as the item was shipped back (at her cost as is our policy) without packaging or original tags, not to mention it is dirty from being worn. I don't feel I should have to pay to return the item back to her.

I am not giving her a refund as the item was shipped back (at her cost as is our policy) without packaging or original tags, not to mention it is dirty from being worn. I don't feel I should have to pay to return the item back to her.

It is your call, Mr or Ms Retailer.
Amazon has a very liberal return policy.
It seems to have served them very well.
There is no legal requirement to do anything for the woman, excepot if you are going to deny her the refund, you are required to return her jacket to her at YOUR cost.
In the interest of custoimer satisfaction, maybe you might want to thrown a ten spot her way.

Back