Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Defrauding an innkeeper state of wisconsin

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogregc

I have 2 questions

1 is there a statute of limitations on this crime

2 these rooms were on a corporate account i am 30% owner in this corporation, i am the only one being charged , can they charge me with this crime even with a corporate shield, we are a c corp

I have 2 questions

1 is there a statute of limitations on this crime

2 these rooms were on a corporate account i am 30% owner in this corporation, i am the only one being charged , can they charge me with this crime even with a corporate shield, we are a c corp

Yes, you can be charged, if you were the guarantor of the debt or gave permission for someone to charge against the corporation's account.

But, there is a great deal more that we don't know, nor do we wish to know.

I suggest you consult with a criminal defense attorney.

If you're arrested, remain silent, give no statement, plead not guilty, and hire a lawyer.

If you're smart, you should hire that lawyer today or tomorrow.

Wisconsin Misappropriation statute.

943.21. Fraud on hotel or restaurant keeper, recreational attraction, taxicab operator, or gas station.

Whoever does any of the following may be penalized

(a) Having obtained any beverage, food, lodging, ticket or other means of admission, or other service or accommodation at any campground, hotel, motel, boarding or lodging house, restaurant, or recreational attraction, intentionally absconds without paying for it.

(b) While a guest at any campground, hotel, motel, boarding or lodging house, or restaurant, intentionally defrauds the keeper thereof in any transaction arising out of the relationship as guest.

(2) Under this section, prima facie evidence of an intent to defraud is shown by:

(a) The refusal of payment upon presentation when due, and the return unpaid of any bank check or order for the payment of money, given by any guest to any campground, hotel, motel, boarding or lodging house, or restaurant, in payment of any obligation arising out of the relationship as guest. Those facts also constitute prima facie evidence of an intent to abscond without payment.

(b) The failure or refusal of any guest at a campground, hotel, motel, boarding or lodging house, or restaurant, to pay, upon written demand, the established charge for any beverage, food, lodging or other service or accommodation actually rendered.

(c) The giving of false information on a lodging registration form or the giving of false information or presenting of false or fictitious credentials for the purpose of obtaining any beverage or food, lodging or credit.

(d) The drawing, endorsing, issuing or delivering to any campground, hotel, motel, boarding or lodging house, or restaurant, of any check, draft or order for payment of money upon any bank or other depository, in payment of established charges for any beverage, food, lodging or other service or accommodation, knowing at the time that there is not sufficient credit with the drawee bank or other depository for payment in full of the instrument drawn.

Whoever violates sub. (1m) (a), or (b):

1. Is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor when the value of any beverage, food, lodging, accommodation, transportation or other service is 2,500 or less.

2. Is guilty of a Class I felony when the value of any beverage, food, lodging, accommodation, transportation or other service exceeds 2,500.

(4) (a) In addition to the other penalties provided for violation of this section, a judge may order a violator to pay restitution under s. 973.20 A victim may not be compensated under this section and s. 943.212 (b) This subsection is applicable in actions concerning violations of ordinances in conformity with this section.

The very next statute, which I didn't post, states the plaintiff can receive treble (3 times the amount of) damages and attorney fees.

Statute of limitations in Wisonsin: felonies - 6 years -- misdemeanors - 3 years. There are some exceptions in felonies but not in your case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back