Quiet Enjoyment definition of "working on your car"

Status
Not open for further replies.

careingsonofdad

My father lives in a retirement facility, while I was fixing the brakes, he was told the contract states "no working on cars" and that he was going to get written up for it. Now I havent seen the contract but i want to know what can and cannot be done to ones own car because its considered working on it. Can one wash his car or even a window? Check oil, rotate tires? Get a jump start? Condition the leather? Replace head gasket? check the tire pressure, or what about having his caregiver or son do any of it? What if he gets some sort of personal enjoyment out of it or just cant afford the repair shop rates? Is repairing the same as working? Or is it meant that he cannot bring cars in for them to be worked in as in a job?

You might want to read the actual contract & you could also ask the retirement facility exactly what "no working on cars" means.

In most cases you are allowed to make emergency repairs, to facilitate the vehicle running.
That would be a jump start, a tire change, etc... Otherwise, all the things you site are forbidden.
If you engage in them, an eviction action could be brought for breaching the terms of rental or purchase.
It's not an issue because if you LOVE working in clunkers, you would choose not to agree to it.
No one is forcing you to live there.
Think about a place that won't allow pets, smoking, illegal drug usage, a child molester to rent, etc...
Terms and conditions do matter.

When I lived in North Cackalacky, we were not permitted to work on vehicles at my apartment. There was no law against doing it at the park so I was changing my oil and a police cruiser showed up. They had 4 complaints about me. I showed the officer my collection pan etc and he affirmed no oil had been permitted to drip onto the ground and said Have a nice day while leaving. As previously noted, a jump start or flat change is not likely to be an issue, however troubleshooting and repairing the cause of the low battery would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back