Defaminatation. Internet Invasion of privacy rights

seanpatrick303

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
Hi I need help. I had an ex best friend I once lived with hack my phone and slander my name in our mutual group of friends. This was devistating to me and my reputation, and even later listened to someone say he profited from this. I am outraged and I know im not alone. Its so hard to find the legal help I need! I have some loosely based evidence, and perhaps one person who may testify. I have also some screenshots of a program running on my phone very similar to his name. please help.:(

Its so hard to find the legal help I need!

No it isn't.

Defamation lawyers are all over the place.

All you have to do is call one, make an appointment, bring your checkbook and pay him a retainer against his hourly rate.

If you don't have the money for an attorney, consider suing in small claims (magistrate) court where the limit is 12,000 and you don't need an attorney.

Besides some possible embarrassment, what are your damages?
I'd bet your best solution here is to ignore it, improve the security of your devices, and move on.

As above, you can consult with an attorney if you wish, but if you don't have significant damages then it is pointless to pursue anything in court that will cost you more than you could reasonably recover in a judgment.

I have some loosely based evidence, and perhaps one person who may testify.

You have information at best, at worst you have nothing.

Whatever it is you possess, good or bad, isn't evidence.

A document, for example, only becomes evidence once it has been submitted to the court and admitted into evidence by the presiding judge.

Your information can also be challenged by the defendant's counsel once your lawyer submits for admission.

Its often a tortuous journey from your possession of that document before it becomes evidence in a civil trial.

I have also some screenshots of a program running on my phone very similar to his name. please help.

I'm sure your "jpgs" or "pngs" or precious in your eyes, alas, they are nothing more than treasured keepsakes until admitted at trial.

Even if you were to prevail in a lawsuit against the alleged interloper or defamer, you'd only receive a pretty piece of legal paper, embossed with a beautiful court seal, over which the judge will affix a signature, acknowledging that Danny Defamer owes YOU, Vincent Victim $500,000.

Yeah, you don't receive a check, cash, or assets the court has confiscated from Danny and gifted to you.

You must then endeavor, if you wish to get compensated for the wrong perpetrated against you, to collect the five "hunnert thousand Gs" from among Danny's assets.

Same thing, mate, even if the jury awarded you $3,000; you'd have to collect it from Danny.

Prevailing in any lawsuit is incredibly difficult.

Collecting five dollars of any judgment is often impossible.

hack my phone

Please elaborate. What exactly happened?

and slander my name in our mutual group of friends.

Again, please elaborate. What exactly was said, and what damages did you suffer as a result?

and even later listened to someone say he profited from this.

Huh?

please help.

It's not clear what sort of "help" you are seeking or think that anonymous strangers on an internet message board can provide. Answer my questions and/or use the "find a lawyer" link at the bottom of the page.

I'm sorry to hear about what happened. Here is something to always consider that can provide some perspective with any legal case and contingency fees. Everyone needs to make enough money to pay the rent/mortgage and necessities. What is your case potentially worth in money damages? How much time would it take to prove your case and will it be easy or difficult to prove your case?

After answering these questions, ask yourself two questions (1) are you willing to pay all the hard costs of the case like photocopying, records requests, filing fees, etc.; and (2) if you were an attorney, would you take the case for free and spend your valuable time hoping to win money to cover what you think the time and effort is worth?

If you can't answer #1 in the affirmative, your case is going nowhere because even you don't think it's worth the basic cost to invest in going forward. If you can't answer #2 in the affirmative with substantial confidence that the case is both an almost sure thing and a case that will easily cover expenses and award a good amount to the plaintiff, then be prepared to pay the attorney by the hour, if that's what you want to do. There are plenty of attorneys who will work that way if it is what you wish. My guess is that you're finding it difficult to find an attorney to do it at no up front cost and only on contingency, e.g. he / she gets paid upon winning. Makes perfect sense if you think about it. Good luck.

Back