defamation of character

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro_se

I am in litigation, and going it pro se, I was orally deposed today and the attorney asked questions that were extremely personal and made an insinuation that is absolutely false and unfounded. I am filing a motion to strike that deposition for the cause of defamation of charactor. This civil case is a real estate dispute that involves remodeling work that was not done in a workmanlike manner. Questions that were posed to me were: How many times were you married? Is your husband the father to all of your children? Were you wearing a bra when the Defendant visited you? Did you make a pass at the Defendant? Have you ever committed a crime? Furthermore, this case has been in progress for more than six months now and there has never been a reference toward sexual innuendoes. Please write me back with any opinions you might have on the matter as I could use all the help I can get since I am working on this case pro se.

thanks...pro se

If there is an insinuation in court that you may have done something then I'd think that your chances for making a case for defamation are very slim. If you can get a copy of the record, look at it and then see if they truly qualify for slander. If all the elements for slander are not clearly met then I'd probably not bother as you may make yourself look worse. If the attorney was asking questions or drawing conclusions in argument you may have a difficulty with making such a case for the obvious reasons.
Originally posted by pro se
I am in litigation, and going it pro se, I was orally deposed today and the attorney asked questions that were extremely personal and made an insinuation that is absolutely false and unfounded. I am filing a motion to strike that deposition for the cause of defamation of charactor. This civil case is a real estate dispute that involves remodeling work that was not done in a workmanlike manner. Questions that were posed to me were: How many times were you married? Is your husband the father to all of your children? Were you wearing a bra when the Defendant visited you? Did you make a pass at the Defendant? Have you ever committed a crime? Furthermore, this case has been in progress for more than six months now and there has never been a reference toward sexual innuendoes. Please write me back with any opinions you might have on the matter as I could use all the help I can get since I am working on this case pro se.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back