defamation of character

Status
Not open for further replies.

fphaseiv

OK I am going to try this again.

My girlfriend works at a nightclub as an MC for a show.

This is what I believe - the former MC has returned and wants her job back. SHe is willing to do whatever it takes to get my girlfriend out, including enlisting the help of other entertainers who work there. THe work environment is full of malicious, just plain cruel people - truly focused on their careers that don't really care who gets hurt as long as they get ahead ( thats entertainment for you!)

This is what I know - early one evening one of the other entertainers came up to a security guard and asked what would happen if an employee was caught doing drugs. She asked if they would get fired. THe security guard said "No, they would be suspended for 90 days". THen later that evening one of the managers came up to my girlfriend and said I need to talk to you. Evidently, one of the other entertainers told him that they saw my girlfriend doing cocaine. Instead of asking her if this was true, the manager simply said that he didn't care what she did outside of the club, but to not do drugs there. Her response was shock. She looked at him and said "Are you crazy!?" SHe then asked who told him this and he refused to tell her.

I have worked in PR for quite awhile and am in the process of trying to getmr girlfriend into some radio and TV. MY first reaction when I heard about this was. of course, anger. I know her, and the bottom line is that she simply does not do drugs of anykind - other than an occasional drink. NONE - ZIPPO- NADA.

However, being a recovering addict myself, I know how indiscriminate statements like the one made about her can be damaging - and infuriating , especially when they are outright lies. Well, from my own experience, everyone disbelieves people especially when it comes to something related to drug use, SO I told her that I was going to put a stop to this crap immediately. I took her to her doctor in the morning and had them do an OBSERVED urine test for drugs on her ( observed, so that no one could say she adulterated the sample). THis way I figured we would have hard evidence that what was said to the manager was a LIE.

Of course the test came back negative for everything they looked for.

My concern then turned to the possibility of me having someone come down to see her show ( with the idea that they were there to review her performance in advance of offering her a radio or TV spot) - and they could be standing there and overhear another employee ( or patron) saying "oh did you hear? She got caught doing cocaine!" and that they would then want nothing to do with her.

Now this may seem like a far fetched scenario, but I knew this sort of thing was going to spread like wildfire ( whether it was true or not ) and it has. Its only been a few days and already people who are perfect strangers ( patrons of the club) have come up to her and said "Oh, I am so glad you are OK. I heard what happened!"

My question is does there have to be an actual loss, i.e. a monetary loss from lost jobs, in order to charge/sue the person who initiated this lie?

It was all just done with such cruel intentions - truly angers me that people exist that would do this kind of thing to someone intentionally

Last edited:
In certain instances of "per se" defamation there does not have to be actual damages proven as they are assumed by the nature of the defamatory language, e.g. a woman is a prostitute. If one of the entertainers stated that they saw your girlfriend doing cocaine and that was untrue, there are damages. Whether or not it's worth going to court (and whether the entertainer has the money to pay for the actual damages) is another question.

In order to protect yourself, she may want to send a letter to the manager (proof of mailing) just to ensure he knows that she passed a drug test and was very upset about the allegation. As the job and her ability to do so is important to her and his knowledge that she is reliable, a copy of the report was provided.

If you really wanted to pursue the matter you might be able to sue the entertainer for the cost of the drug screen and damages to reputation, but also think about the repercussions at the workplace. It would seem that the entertainer will get her due when everyone finds out that she is a proven, malicious liar. They lose friends fast.... good luck with all this.

Originally posted by fphaseiv
OK I am going to try this again.

My girlfriend works at a nightclub as an MC for a show.

This is what I believe - the former MC has returned and wants her job back. SHe is willing to do whatever it takes to get my girlfriend out, including enlisting the help of other entertainers who work there. THe work environment is full of malicious, just plain cruel people - truly focused on their careers that don't really care who gets hurt as long as they get ahead ( thats entertainment for you!)

This is what I know - early one evening one of the other entertainers came up to a security guard and asked what would happen if an employee was caught doing drugs. She asked if they would get fired. THe security guard said "No, they would be suspended for 90 days". THen later that evening one of the managers came up to my girlfriend and said I need to talk to you. Evidently, one of the other entertainers told him that they saw my girlfriend doing cocaine. Instead of asking her if this was true, the manager simply said that he didn't care what she did outside of the club, but to not do drugs there. Her response was shock. She looked at him and said "Are you crazy!?" SHe then asked who told him this and he refused to tell her.

I have worked in PR for quite awhile and am in the process of trying to getmr girlfriend into some radio and TV. MY first reaction when I heard about this was. of course, anger. I know her, and the bottom line is that she simply does not do drugs of anykind - other than an occasional drink. NONE - ZIPPO- NADA.

However, being a recovering addict myself, I know how indiscriminate statements like the one made about her can be damaging - and infuriating , especially when they are outright lies. Well, from my own experience, everyone disbelieves people especially when it comes to something related to drug use, SO I told her that I was going to put a stop to this crap immediately. I took her to her doctor in the morning and had them do an OBSERVED urine test for drugs on her ( observed, so that no one could say she adulterated the sample). THis way I figured we would have hard evidence that what was said to the manager was a LIE.

Of course the test came back negative for everything they looked for.

My concern then turned to the possibility of me having someone come down to see her show ( with the idea that they were there to review her performance in advance of offering her a radio or TV spot) - and they could be standing there and overhear another employee ( or patron) saying "oh did you hear? She got caught doing cocaine!" and that they would then want nothing to do with her.

Now this may seem like a far fetched scenario, but I knew this sort of thing was going to spread like wildfire ( whether it was true or not ) and it has. Its only been a few days and already people who are perfect strangers ( patrons of the club) have come up to her and said "Oh, I am so glad you are OK. I heard what happened!"

My question is does there have to be an actual loss, i.e. a monetary loss from lost jobs, in order to charge/sue the person who initiated this lie?

It was all just done with such cruel intentions - truly angers me that people exist that would do this kind of thing to someone intentionally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back