Defamation of Character

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npah33

I was recently at a bar and I would go there many times. One of the bar tenders became irate because there were men in the bar that always bought me beers daily and I was asked if I wanted to go shopping by a man their, then when I wanted to leave one day and have my eye brows waxed and my car is presently not working because my transmission is broken. So another man offered me to use his car and submitted his keys to me in my hands. So I used his car to do the above. A couple of days later, the female bartender became irate and began mentioning that I was a user and a bitch, cunt to all the customers and continues to tell them that I use men for drinks and that I need lots of men.

My question is can I sue the bar for Defamation of Character and Slander?

Anybody that knows, please give me your opinions.

I would think that the words you use would likely not be actionable and, if they were, would not yield significant monetary compensation. To begin, specific allegations would have to be made that were clearly false. Her opinion that you "use" men for drinks isn't necessarily defamation as much as it may be casting you in a poor light by inference. If the bartender said "you sleep with men for drinks" when you have not, that would be more clearly actionable and yield some damages.

The best thing to do might be to handle it appropriately and take the high road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back