Defamation of character from Co-Worker

Status
Not open for further replies.

LikeLinus

I'm at a bit of a loss...

I've been working at my current job as an IT Manager for a year now. The person I replaced still works for the company, but in another division.

He started harrasing me from the start and acting like I didn't know anything. I was hired to work with him but this relationship soured very quickly because of the threat I posed to him. They eventually realized he could not do the job and they moved him into warehousing.

I had a run in with him in May where he talked down to me and flat out treated me very poorly. I went to HR and the VP and I was told it wouldn't happen again and they would talk to him.

Since then 2 other people have gone to them and told them about him, which was blown off.

The problem is the VP is the son (and 10% owner) of the owner. He goes out drinking with him on a nightly basis just about and they are very close friends. He's basically allowed to get away with murder, i swear.

Since May things have been good, so I figured they got through with him and told him no more. Yesterday I met up with some co-workers and they mentioned how bad he talks about me. They then informed me that he's been telling people that i'm homosexual (I'm married with a son, for almost 10 years) and various other slanderous remarks. I was surprised (but honestly not really). They are both newer to the company and said they believed some of the stuff till they got to know me the past few days and realized it was all lies

The real problem is I love my job. The company is good other than that. They just gave me two pay raises in 6 weeks because I've been doing a fantastic job for them. It's hard to find a company as good as they are, yet so bad at HR.

What should I do? Should I just go to HR monday and file a complaint and then see a lawyer? Should I just go directly to a lawyer and ask them what I should do. Do I need to ask the two individuals if they will write down what they've heard or talk to HR about it also. I'm sick of this and It has to stop. I do a great job and everyone loves me within the company but this one highly abusive person.

Please any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

The situation you describe would of course be extremely aggravating but you don't have a case for slander because you haven't suffered any damages. Nor is the guy being a complete and utter jerk illegal.

What I suggest you do is return to HR and calmly but firmly explain to them that this must stop and the slanderous comments have to cease. Obviously the company is extremely pleased with you and your performance and unless they're completely stupid, they're going to understand that they're going to lose you to another employer pronto unless they put a stop to the situation. The complication you have is that the former IT Manager is a drinking buddy of the VP/son of the owner so it's a political hot potato. Not being in your organization, I have no idea whether the HR person going directly to the owner and telling him everything that's been going on so that he can intervene is career suicide.

My suggestion is that you give the company one last chance to resolve the situation. If that fails, then you can have an attorney write a "cease and desist" letter to the guy threatening legal action (even if said legal action is very unlikely to prevail) or start looking for a job elsewhere.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back