Decliene to Frequent relocations with liquidated damages clause

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm a working for a firm where there are extremely frequent job relocations. With me my kid also has to suffer as part of my job change every few months. This is his third school in this year already. My question is can I decline to relocate, even though it is something I signed and agreed as part of my employment contract. Typically I would expect one relocation per year, as that is what is standard in Software industry, as I have seen so far. Right now my expenses for relocating, staying in hotel or signing and breaking lease are so much that I am not able to meet both ends on my own. My employer does not pay for relocation. Also, I have Liquidated damages clause for 40K in case I resign for 2 years from the date of employment starts. Is there a way out of this inhuman firm?

I'm a working for a firm where there are extremely frequent job relocations. With me my kid also has to suffer as part of my job change every few months. This is his third school in this year already. My question is can I decline to relocate, even though it is something I signed and agreed as part of my employment contract. Typically I would expect one relocation per year, as that is what is standard in Software industry, as I have seen so far. Right now my expenses for relocating, staying in hotel or signing and breaking lease are so much that I am not able to meet both ends on my own. My employer does not pay for relocation. Also, I have Liquidated damages clause for 40K in case I resign for 2 years from the date of employment starts. Is there a way out of this inhuman firm?

I suggest you see a lawyer and have him or her review the documents you allegedly signed.
Slavery has been outlawed for 160 years.
The way you describe things, you've effectively become an indentured servant.

I hope you don't get ill, thereby necessitating you to resign for health reasons.
No matter what, you must always endeavor to protect your health, mental and physical. (wink wink wink wink)
Someone in such a position would be protected by HIPAA, and not be required to disclose details of their particular illness or malady.

Your state, Florida is home to the HQ of Burger King.
You darn tooting, pilgrim, you can have it YOUR way!

Generally if you do not relocate, your employer can terminate you unless you have a binding employment contract to the contrary. As suggested, take any agreement/contract that you have to an employment or contract attorney for review & advice re relocation & damages clause .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back