debt

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of debt are you talking about? Credit cards? How many years have passed since you made a payment or used the account?

I am talking about a auto loan. Last activity was 2005.I couldn't get any info from them. All the knew is my past loan and last four ssn. This doesn't show on my credit anymore. Some reviews said it was a scam to get people to pay old debt that is no longer relevant.

I am talking about a auto loan. Last activity was 2005.I couldn't get any info from them. All the knew is my past loan and last four ssn. This doesn't show on my credit anymore. Some reviews said it was a scam to get people to pay old debt that is no longer relevant.

This might be all you ever want to know about debt collection laws in KY.

http://www.nationallist.com/image/cache/White_Paper_Kentucky_Debt_Collection.pdf

http://credit.about.com/od/statuteoflimitations/a/entirestatesol.htm

Bottom line, you potentially have a problem.
The debt collection effort is likely a scam, but KY laws allow for 14 or 15 years before the SOL can bar collection efforts.
Even I didn't know this about KY.

You might want to discuss your options with a local BK attorney.
I'd talk to three or four local BK attorneys, and see what is available to protect me.
A BK filed anywhere in the USA is available to protect your assets.
BK seems the only way to save your bacon, buddy!

It's best you don't engage in those phone calls or respond to their letters. You have no obligation to communicate with them. If you are ever served with a summons to court then you will know there is a legitimate collection effort underway.

Are you just getting phone calls and/or letters? If so, you might just want to ignore them as noted above unless you get an official summons to court.

Also I haven't lived there since 2005! I was never a resident there my home of record was elsewhere. Thanks for the info guys. I understand that we make mistakes when we are young but I just got over 700 fico fixing old mistakes. I received one call from them and no letter or documents saying this is my debt.

You might not want to do anything/worry about it unless you get an official document/summons to court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back