Death without will, recently divorced, real estate involed - need answers quickly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brittbritt22

I cannot afford a lawyer, and this seems like a simple question.

My father died this week. His divorce from my stepmother became final in June. In the divorce decree, my father got sole possession of the home and sole responsibility to make payments; however, he did not get around to re-financing the home and/or taking my stepmother's name off of the mortgage. My stepmother is still listed as the primary on the mortgage. My dad has homeowner's insurance, but no life insurance, and I've heard that since his death was accidental and occurred in the home, the homeowner's insurance will pay off the mortgage on the house, leaving me with the home to do what I need to do.

My question is this: since he is dead but they are divorced, what right does she have to the home? Will the homeowner's insurance cover the mortgage if she is still listed as primary? Does the house even go to me if her name is on the mortgage? Does she have rights to the belongings inside? According to the divorce decree she has taken everything out that she was entitled to.

This is a very confusing time. I have not had to deal with an immediate death as an adult before, and I need to know what I'm doing. I thank you in advance for your fast response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back