Death of my father WHAT DOES MY MOTHER DO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crt2027

My father is deceased. My mother is jointly on the house and the car. He did not have a will. She is the beneficiary of his life insurance. There sole income was Social Security. my father had no retirement.

only bills he had was medical bills. She did receive maybe 10k from the life insurance company after the funeral was payed.

Is my mother responsible to pay off my fathers medical bills with the insurance money she received?

I have notified all his medical bill (physician offices, hospitals etc.) I have also sent them all certified copies of his death certificate....will receive any problems in refernece to this

any insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated
thanks

A CONCERNED SON

The life insurance is not part of your father's estate and does not have to be used for his medical bills unless your Mother guaranteed payment. Have you checked with Medicade and Medicare? The hospital billing office should be able to help you with any forms that need to be filled out since they are the one's wanting the money.

The car and house also pass outside of the estate. Take the death certificate to the Registrar of Deeds and have a new deed issued in your mother's name only. Same with the DMV for the car.

Go down the the probate court to see what forms need to be filed. The clerk can help you.

It is time for your mother to do her will to avoid future problems. You should consult with an elder care attorney.

What Will Going To Probate Court Do For Us? He Had Medicare...but It Only Pays 80% So The Bills The Medical People Are Coming After Us Is For Owed After Medicare Paid.....so I Mailed Them All Death Certificates Now What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back