Dealing with licensed contractor, two issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjuju

Hello all,

Wondering if anyone could provide some help, since I am facing two issues.

Issue #1: Signed a contract with a licensed contractor for work on my home. Work involved removing ceiling covering, it's called popcorn, fixing ceiling scratches/marks, and painting the ceiling. Contract stated $500 to start and balance upon completion ($1450). Work start on a Saturday and was to finish on a Monday. On Sunday, I did an inspection and pointed out to the contractor's workers that some of the holes were not patched. They, the workers, fixed some of the areas I pointed out and agreed to fix before painting was to begin on Monday.

When the contractor did not show on Monday and with the ceiling bare, plus a house full of ceiling debris, I called and was informed that he was done with the job since I made his workers fix these things. He also claimed that he would only finish the project if I pay in cash the balance and if I do not point out anymore ceiling scratches.

what are my legal options since he is taking me to small claims court over the monies he says I owe for the extra work?

Issues #2 Since the contractor abandoned the job, I called him and informed him that I was moving his equipment outside in order to avoid any confrontation. After placing his equipment outside, I went to get lunch and returned a half-hour later to notice the equipment gone. The contractor is now claiming that it was stolen and is taking me to court for the equipment. What is my responsibility for this?

Thank you for reading and any help would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back