Dealership Botched Oil Change

TechFounder

Jurisdiction
Ohio
I took the family minivan to the dealership to have its second oil change done since new. The next day while driving at roughly 60 miles per hour i notice the van suddenly wasn't accelerating as it normally would, there was an unfamiliar smell, and I heard an unfamiliar noise. The check engine light came on. I began immediately working my way to the shoulder to assess the vehicle. As I made this maneuver the low oil pressure light became illuminated. Upon reaching the shoulder, I shut the vehicle off and called a tow truck to return the vehicle to the dealership.

I spoke with the service manager at the dealership. He informed me that they had taken the vehicle and serviced it. During their investigation, they discovered a 1/4 inch gap between the oil filter and the housing which allowed all the oil to come out of the motor. He explained that their assessment had revealed no further issues with the vehicle.

I explained to him, my background as a mechanical engineer and as the founder of a now defunct boutique auto manufacturer. I explained that engine damage occurs immediately to any motor run with out motor oil and explained that the document I shared with him will be the only remedy for this issue. We brought them a brand new vehicle and expect that we will be restored to new vehicle condition. Here is the document I shared with them: SWEENEY OIL CHANGE ISSUE

My reasoning is that damage that occurs in this fashion typically does not show up until later in the vehicle life cycle. Further, due to the components soaked in engine oil, the vehicle is prone to a multitude of reliability issues due to part failure and worse is now a fire hazard due to components like the catalytic converter having been soaked in oil. I feel any other remedy is putting my wife and four kids at risk that we have no responsibility for as we trusted the dealership to fulfill the contract with competence.

Please provide perspective.

I took the family minivan to the dealership to have its second oil change done since new. The next day while driving at roughly 60 miles per hour i notice the van suddenly wasn't accelerating as it normally would, there was an unfamiliar smell, and I heard an unfamiliar noise. The check engine light came on. I began immediately working my way to the shoulder to assess the vehicle. As I made this maneuver the low oil pressure light became illuminated. Upon reaching the shoulder, I shut the vehicle off and called a tow truck to return the vehicle to the dealership.

I spoke with the service manager at the dealership. He informed me that they had taken the vehicle and serviced it. During their investigation, they discovered a 1/4 inch gap between the oil filter and the housing which allowed all the oil to come out of the motor. He explained that their assessment had revealed no further issues with the vehicle.

I explained to him, my background as a mechanical engineer and as the founder of a now defunct boutique auto manufacturer. I explained that engine damage occurs immediately to any motor run with out motor oil and explained that the document I shared with him will be the only remedy for this issue. We brought them a brand new vehicle and expect that we will be restored to new vehicle condition.

My reasoning is that damage that occurs in this fashion typically does not show up until later in the vehicle life cycle. Further, due to the components soaked in engine oil, the vehicle is prone to a multitude of reliability issues due to part failure and worse is now a fire hazard due to components like the catalytic converter having been soaked in oil. I feel any other remedy is putting my wife and four kids at risk that we have no responsibility for as we trusted the dealership to fulfill the contract with competence.

The dealership need not accept your proffer.

If you dislike their analysis and solution, your remedy potentially lies in a courtroom, as does the dealership's.

Just because you assert something, even if it is the best solution, the other party is under no legal obligation to assent to your solution.

That is precisely why we have courts to resolve disputes.

Keep all the paperwork...... Make sure they stated on the paperwork exactly what happened. You can contact the auto maker and file a complaint with them.

Normally I would say that spilling a little oil isn't that big of a deal especially with today's synthetics. You apparently stopped quickly and limited the damage.

However..... if you experienced sluggish acceleration as a result of this that is a pretty good indication that due to the lack of oil the engine was close to seizing. I think you are correct to expect internal damage. If this is a new vehicle under warranty you might exercise all options to get this addressed. If nothing else, see if you can get them to offer an extended warranty on only the internal engine that might have been effected.

I for one would not be happy with just an apology and a refill of the oil. Way too much risk that will catch up after the warranty expires.

As mentioned, they do not have to accept your offer. If you can't come to terms then you will have to pursue a solution by legal means. Don't try and do it on your own. Visit an attorney for guidance and to determine if you have a realistic option to pursue.

I explained to him, my background as a mechanical engineer and as the founder of a now defunct boutique auto manufacturer. I explained that engine damage occurs immediately to any motor run with out motor oil and explained that the document I shared with him will be the only remedy for this issue. We brought them a brand new vehicle and expect that we will be restored to new vehicle condition. Here is the document I shared with them: SWEENEY OIL CHANGE ISSUE

This is simple negligence on the part of the servicing dealership and should be replaced with a brand new vehicle just like the one you own. You should notify the manufacture to let them know what is going on with this dealership that represents them. This should bring a rifgtful resolve. The manufactures toll-free service number is located in your owners manual.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is simple negligence on the part of the servicing dealership

Except for the apparent lack of provable damage.

and should be replaced with a brand new vehicle just like the one you own.

BWAHAHAHAHA! You're kidding, right? First of all, nothing in the original post indicates the vehicle in question was "a brand new vehicle." Indeed, the original post indicates that the events described occurred after the vehicle's second oil change. For all we know, the vehicle was nearly or more than a year old. Second, and regardless of the vehicle's age, and even if damages could be proven, the remedy would not be for the OP to get "a brand new vehicle." Rather, the remedy would be the difference in value of the vehicle now as compared to the value before the negligence. The notion that the OP gets "a brand new vehicle" out of this is absurd.

This is simple negligence on the part of the servicing dealership and should be replaced with a brand new vehicle just like the one you own. You should notify the manufacture to let them know what is going on with this dealership that represents them. This should bring a rifgtful resolve. The manufactures toll-free service number is located in your owners manual.

Who said it was brand new? I bought a 2015 in May and got three free oil changes from the dealership when I bought it. I'm about to get my second one...but it's not a brand new car. It says "second oil change done since new."

Who said it was brand new? I bought a 2015 in May and got three free oil changes from the dealership when I bought it. I'm about to get my second one...but it's not a brand new car. It says "second oil change done since new."
You misunderstood. They caused a major mishap in your current vehicle by messing up a common oil change and if it happens to me I will either be given a new vehicle like the one that was affected or this will go to court where I would be suing for treble damages plus all related expenses.

Good Luck,
Harry

You misunderstood. They caused a major mishap in your current vehicle by messing up a common oil change and if it happens to me I will either be given a new vehicle like the one that was affected or this will go to court where I would be suing for treble damages plus all related expenses.

Good Luck,
Harry

They are not going to give you or me or anyone a brand new vehicle if they mess up an oil change. If they messed up my oil change I'm not getting a 2018 Equinox when I have a 2015. Lol no. You could sue them yes - that doesn't necessarily mean you'll get the money immediately either.

Good Luck,
Harry
Dude you even replied to the original poster...no one has caused a mishap in my vehicle. If they did I'd expect them to fix whatever they broke for no cost. Not give me a new car.

They caused a major mishap in your current vehicle by messing up a common oil change

"Caused a major mishap"? The original post says the dealer's assessment "revealed no further issues with the vehicle," and the OP did not indicate any contrary evidence exists.

if it happens to me I will either be given a new vehicle like the one that was affected or this will go to court where I would be suing for treble damages plus all related expenses.

As I explained previously, no one is going to give you any such thing. While you can sue for anything you like, you won't win a cent without provable damages.

Back