Deadbeat Drunk Father

Status
Not open for further replies.

redsnapper85

I left my ex-husband because he was abusive alcoholic and currently have a protection order against him. It took a year to divorce him and during that time period he only contributed roughly $600 in child support. During our seperation and since the divorce he has spent all his time at numerous bars (I have several pictures of his truck directly in front of the bar, as well as pictures of him drinking...thanks to some pretty sneaky friends). And he has only made ONE payment in child support since it was ordered. He is now over about 5,000 behind in back child support. During our court hearing the judge specifically stated that his visitation with our two year old daughter be supervised by his mother the entire time and that there is to be NO alchohol in her presence. He took her for three weekends following the divorce. After the third visit with her....later on that week I took her to the grocery store and passing the beer isle she yells out "Dadda! Dadda!" pointing at the beer. I do not drink, nor does my husband (fiance at the time) so she would have no reason to know what beer is. I confronted the ex about it and bluffed saying I had proof that he had been drinking around her. Thinking I had pictures or something he admited to having alchohol around her but stated he never drank any, just his family....(lying because I know him better). I then told him he was not to have anymore visitation with her until we went back to court for this. He called only once since then to see if he could see her and I said no. Meanwhile the state has been hunting him down for all the month's he's gone without paying child support and he refuses to give anyone his address other than his mother's....which of course they cannot serve him the proper paperwork when he does not live there. I recieved a letter from his lawyer 2 days ago demanding that I give possession of our daughter to him for "an extended summer vacation" and that I am in violation for keeping her from him. Yes, I know that I cannot keep her from him but given the circumstances I don't feel its in her best saftey to be in his custody for ANY amount of time, supervised or not (since his mother is obviously allowing him to drink around our daughter). My question is...where do I go from here? He is only doing this to have a hold over me, he doesn't even call to ask how she is doing and spends little time with her even when he did have her in his possession. My husband loves her to death and treats her as if she were his own and would LOVE to adopt her in a heart beat if it were at all possible to get my ex's rights terminated. Please help with any advice if you can. I'm lost on what my next step should be. :mad:

Sorry but dad is dad and if supervised visits is all he has, you probably cannot take those away. You cannot terminate rights unless he consents and your hubby adopts. If you think he is drinking you can ask for random urine samples an see if the court will award you it. You are in contempt if you refuse his summer visits. You need to see an attorney with your concerns.

If you think your going to strip him of his parental rights forget it it isnt going to happen. Change the vistation from supervised by Mom to new supervisor since Mom isnt working out very well

He was fighting for unsupervised visitation so I demanded a drug/alchohol test the day we went to court for the divorce. He got scared and admitted to having "a beer or two" the night before. The judge laughed and said, "if it was just a beer or two then you'll probably pass son" but he said he would rather settle for the supervised visitation. If he's not taking responsibility for his child why should he still have rights? How long would it have to take of him not following the rules for his rights to be terminated? And who could be the supervisor? I don't want my daughter to have to go to a facility with social workers and crack heads in order to see her Dad, thats not the kind of environment I want her in. Can the supervised visitation be by myself and my husband?

Also, our daughter is only 2 years old. He isn't suppose to get extended summer visits...she's too young for that. I think his lawyer was under the assumption she was older, if I'm not mistaken that applies to children in school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back