dcfs

sbonilla777

Question: I had a dcfs case open 9 months ago because the father of my older 2 kids called them on me, they said my current husband is a perpetrator and I was a neglectful parent, so they took my kids away from me. now I have a baby with my current husband but the family law court awarded custody to me because of that case.
Now I called the police on my husband 3 days ago and a social worker came to my house, she wants me to go to the office to meet with her, because I called in a domestic abuse report. what can happen to me now?

Question: I had a dcfs case open 9 months ago because the father of my older 2 kids called them on me, they said my current husband is a perpetrator and I was a neglectful parent, so they took my kids away from me. now I have a baby with my current husband but the family law court awarded custody to me because of that case.
Now I called the police on my husband 3 days ago and a social worker came to my house, she wants me to go to the office to meet with her, because I called in a domestic abuse report. what can happen to me now?

Many things can happen to you.
You could lose your current child, and you might even be eventually charged with a crime.
You don't have to speak with DCFS.
I suggest you simply decline to meet with DCFS.
I also remind you of your RIGHT to remain silent, and your RIGHT not to incriminate yourself.
DCFS is gonna d, what DCFS does, regardless of what you do....

in my last case I completed everything and the father of my baby left to Washington, I have been alone all this time but he came back and was homeless so I took him in. but completed dv classes, parenting, and other counseling classes.

how do I decline to meet with them??? please help

Unless you were served with a summons to appear in court, or an arrest warrant, you decline by simply not appearing.
If they call, you don't have to answer your phone.
If they appear at your door WITHOUT a warrant, you need NOT answer your door.
Pretty simple, you aren't required to interact with anyone.
If you are arrested, you plead not guilty, admit to nothing, and request a public defender.
DCFS can suspicion all they want, but unless you are summoned to court or arrested, you can ignore DCFS, or anyone else.

Last edited:
So ... the Family Court took your previous kids away, but awarded you custody of your new child BECAUSE of that previous case (where you lost the children)? I'm confused. Do you, or do you NOT have your most recent child?

It sounds like they want to interview you. You do not have to go with her. But, if you lost your children in the past and if this current situation is a perpetuation of the previous incidents, or there is a history of ongoing DV at the residence, you could lose your child if you fail to take affirmative steps to protect the child.

Nothing compels you to speak with CPS, but, if they have nothing more to go on but your history and police reports, they may very well intervene in order to protect the child.

Back