DCF

Amanda S. K.

Jurisdiction
Florida
I have these friends that Big Bend Child welfare (DCF/cps) came in and took these kids with out a judge signing off on it, and there was no investigation done. And these kids have been removed and separated. Now they threaten to take the unborn child from the mother as soon as she has it. there was no notice given no paperwork sent nothing of the sort to give them probable cause or reasoning to remove these children. The DCF department has already had an investigator arrested for falsifying reports. I know what's right and I know what's legal and what's illegal what I do not know is how to go about fighting this without a lawyer because these people are poor and they cannot afford a lawyer. I guess my question is is this legal and how do I go about pursuing it to get these children back?

I have these friends that Big Bend Child welfare (DCF/cps) came in and took these kids with out a judge signing off on it, and there was no investigation done. And these kids have been removed and separated. Now they threaten to take the unborn child from the mother as soon as she has it. there was no notice given no paperwork sent nothing of the sort to give them probable cause or reasoning to remove these children. The DCF department has already had an investigator arrested for falsifying reports. I know what's right and I know what's legal and what's illegal what I do not know is how to go about fighting this without a lawyer because these people are poor and they cannot afford a lawyer. I guess my question is is this legal and how do I go about pursuing it to get these children back?
You can do nothing...except perhaps hire an attorney for the parents. DCF didn't randomly remove the children from the home...so what was the reason given?

there was no investigation done.

How do you know?

there was no notice given no paperwork sent nothing of the sort to give them probable cause or reasoning to remove these children.

So you're suggesting that these public officials did this simply for shits and giggles? That they just pulled your friends' names out of a hat and said, "tough noogies for them"? Sorry, but that's simply not believable. There obviously was some reason. That you don't know the reason or don't think it's a good reason doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

The DCF department has already had an investigator arrested for falsifying reports.

In relation to your friends' situation?

I do not know is how to go about fighting this. . . . how do I go about pursuing it to get these children back?

You don't. There's nothing for you to fight. Legally, this has nothing to do with you.

I guess my question is is this legal

You haven't described anything that happened with sufficient clarity such that anyone could opine about the legality or propriety of it. That being the case, there's nothing anyone here can suggest to your friends except that they should consult with a local attorney. They should contact legal aid and/or seek to borrow money to pay for a lawyer.

The best help you can give your friends is to stop posting their legal problems on the internet. This isn't your business.

The best help you can give your friends is to stop posting their legal problems on the internet. This isn't your business.
Not like it any of your business but they ask for my help so I am reaching out to anyone who will help. if all you want to do is criticize people here maybe this it in the site for you.

The matter that your friend is involved in is HUGE. The best help you could give is not to go out and solicit random strangers for advice. No, the best help you could give your friend is to help your friend get an attorney.

Really.

guess my question is is this legal and how do I go about pursuing it to get these children back?

Tell your friends to request a gubmint supplied and funded attorney to represent their interests.

Further suggest to your friends to refuse to discuss any aspect of their dilemma with anyone but their SOON TO BE ASSIGNED gubmint attorney.

How do you know?

So you're suggesting that these public officials did this simply for shits and giggles? That they just pulled your friends' names out of a hat and said, "tough noogies for them"? Sorry, but that's simply not believable. There obviously was some reason. That you don't know the reason or don't think it's a good reason doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

In relation to your friends' situation?

You don't. There's nothing for you to fight. Legally, this has nothing to do with you.

You haven't described anything that happened with sufficient clarity such that anyone could opine about the legality or propriety of it. That being the case, there's nothing anyone here can suggest to your friends except that they should consult with a local attorney. They should contact legal aid and/or seek to borrow money to pay for a lawyer.
I just need advice not criticism. This is a poor county with crooked cops and government officials. Sorry but they do exist. There has already been investigations done on some of these dcf workers for filing false reports.

I just need advice not criticism. This is a poor county with crooked cops and government officials. Sorry but they do exist. There has already been investigations done on some of these dcf workers for filing false reports. I know because I done the research.

Last edited by a moderator:
The matter that your friend is involved in is HUGE. The best help you could give is not to go out and solicit random strangers for advice. No, the best help you could give your friend is to help your friend get an attorney.

Really.

We are the poorest county in Florida. No one could afford a lawyer, or else I would not be on here.

Interestingly, I suspect that there are attorneys who work (and prosper) in your (unnamed) county. Rhetorically, I wonder who pays them...

This is a poor county with crooked cops and government officials. Sorry but they do exist. There has already been investigations done on some of these dcf workers for filing false reports.

That doesn't answer any of the questions I asked, which are important, and, as before, you still haven't described anything that happened with sufficient clarity such that anyone could opine about the legality or propriety of it. However, if no one can afford a lawyer and the public officials are all crooked, then I really have to wonder what you thought posting on an internet message board about the law could accomplish.

Interestingly, I suspect that there are attorneys who work (and prosper) in your (unnamed) county. Rhetorically, I wonder who pays them.

I was thinking the same thing. According to Wikipedia, and depending on whether you're looking at per capita income, median household income or median family income, the "poorest" county in Florida is either Union County, Calhoun County or Hendry County. I found a number of lawyers in all three counties with very little effort.

DCF doesn't just randomly take kids - and if there was no court ordered paperwork your friend shouldn't have let the kids go with them.

Who are you in this situation? If you are not one of the parents, there's nothing you can do except hire them a lawyer. Otherwise you have no legal stake in it.

Back