Dcf issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ann1111

Can DCF go into a daycare and question a three year old and her classmate without any consent or knowledge from the parent??

Agree. Sometimes a child will open up more (say more) when a parent isn't around. DCF can get more of the truth that way.

Agreed here, too.

If anything, giving the parents prior knowledge sort of defeats the whole object.

Yes and they do it all the time. The reason is they don't want child coached or feel intimated with parents present. I understand its frustrating on your part but if you did no wrong you should be fine

A smart parent should teach their child(ren) to never speak to anyone unless mommy or daddy are present.
One of the foremost duties of any good parent is protect their child(ren).
Children have the right to have their biggest advocate and protector present at all times, Mother or Father, or Both.

Parents, make sure your child(ren) are taught to say nothing unless dad, mom, or both are present.
That is their right, as much so as it is an adult's right to have a lawyer present during questioning by the police.

A child should know that it is okay to say, "Please, I want my mommy and my daddy. Please, sir or madam, call my mommy or my daddy, please. I can't talk unless mommy or daddy are here."

No one is required to ever answer any questions by an authority figure, or just a nosy busy body. You know that stuff about using whatever you say against you in a court of law, it means exactly what it says. There are hundreds of people in prison because they BLABBED. Silence is a right, use it!!!

Last edited:
I'm so upset that they think they have the right to do that. We are shocked, she just turned 3, why would they be questioning her and another classmate on the same day? Does it have to do with school? I think I will talk to an attorney and ask about rights as a parent, I don't think they have the right to do that when we don't have any knowledge of what's going on?
Dcf had to tell us why they questioned her!? She's 3, a minor, and that's invasive. Her school doesn't even know. The other child they questioned gets into trouble often, and they are friends, I wonder if it has to do with that. Please advise, I'm so upset, shocked and mortified that they did that, and we have no idea why? There is no logical reason except school related....please help!

Its in the child's best interest they do this. It is not about how you feel about it. Yes I understand you upset and rightfully so but again its in child's best interest to conduct these interviews without any outside influence. If DCF is building a case against you, you will know soon enough. You can always contact DCF yourself and request that info

I'm so upset that they think they have the right to do that. We are shocked, she just turned 3, why would they be questioning her and another classmate on the same day? Does it have to do with school? I think I will talk to an attorney and ask about rights as a parent, I don't think they have the right to do that when we don't have any knowledge of what's going on?
Dcf had to tell us why they questioned her!? She's 3, a minor, and that's invasive. Her school doesn't even know. The other child they questioned gets into trouble often, and they are friends, I wonder if it has to do with that. Please advise, I'm so upset, shocked and mortified that they did that, and we have no idea why? There is no logical reason except school related....please help!

Yes they have the right and no they don't have to tell you. As I stated contact the worker that interviewed child/ren or his/her supervisor. However based on whatever questions they asked you should be able to discern what this was about.

Did your daughter tell you she was questioned or the school - how did you first find out? Did your daughter say what questions she was asked? Contact the worker who talked to your daughter, as suggested, & see what more you can find out.

Children's services responds to reports. These reports can come from any number of sources including mandated reporters there at school, other parents and more. Its also possible your child saw or heard something and was being questioned about that. Its equally possible your child said something that caused concern but could really be nothing, after all the child is three. It is better to be safe than sorry. I know this does not relieve your frustration but if your child had been harmed in anyway and children's services had a report but did nothing you would be even more upset. If DCF and/or Police have not shown up at your door after talking to your child it s not likely this is a big issue if an issue at all. We don't know why they talked to your child without that everything else is speculation

A smart parent should teach their child(ren) to never speak to anyone unless mommy or daddy are present.
One of the foremost duties of any good parent is protect their child(ren).
Children have the right to have their biggest advocate and protector present at all times, Mother or Father, or Both.

Parents, make sure your child(ren) are taught to say nothing unless dad, mom, or both are present.
That is their right, as much so as it is an adult's right to have a lawyer present during questioning by the police.

A child should know that it is okay to say, "Please, I want my mommy and my daddy. Please, sir or madam, call my mommy or my daddy, please. I can't talk unless mommy or daddy are here."

No one is required to ever answer any questions by an authority figure, or just a nosy busy body. You know that stuff about using whatever you say against you in a court of law, it means exactly what it says. There are hundreds of people in prison because they BLABBED. Silence is a right, use it!!!

AJ, I'd ordinarily agree.

But in cases where a young child might be abused or neglected, that honestly needs to be tossed. Sometimes - many times, actually - the presence of the abuser can foil the attempts to protect the child. The 4th amendment rights should never be exercised at the expense of an abused child, y'know?

Is it nice? No, no it's not. But sometimes it's necessary.

I could totally understand if a child was being harmed in any way, however that is not the case whatsoever! If anything, all people tell me is how I spoil her!! She's 3, the light of our lives! And no she didn't tell me that she was questioned, the director/owner just casually told me. She said she didn't know anything about it, but did try and make a few calls to find out, but no one knew. The owner said that her and another little boy had been questioned today, the little boy is often in trouble and they are friends, they talk about one another non stop.
When I asked my 3 yr old what the lady asked her, she said something about "time out" and "being good", and that's it. And of course we asked her a few more times but she didnt really say much, she's 3, what can we expect her to fully understand or remember.

With all do respect, if she was a tiny bit older then I could tell her that she shouldn't talk to strangers, but we have taught her to be respectful to others.

I will be making a trip to DCF Monday to find out what it's all about. This is important to me too because I need to protect my child too.

Thank you all for your advise.

Sounds like the issue might be the other child and they talked to your child because they are close. If that is the case and its not about your child don't expect DCF to tell you anything

AJ, I'd ordinarily agree.

But in cases where a young child might be abused or neglected, that honestly needs to be tossed. Sometimes - many times, actually - the presence of the abuser can foil the attempts to protect the child. The 4th amendment rights should never be exercised at the expense of an abused child, y'know?

Is it nice? No, no it's not. But sometimes it's necessary.

Its the law, as long as even the abuser is the parent.

I saw nothing about this mother abusing the child.

I staunchly support protecting children.

I also staunchly believe that ALL rights be protected.

That includes the rights of the parents.

I've seen the witch hunts that these so called child protective agencies instigate.

I've tried a few of those cases.

So, just because they represent the state, doesn't mean they should be allowed to break the law.

Nevertheless, show me the legal authority that permits CPS to avoid or ignore the parental rights.

If the parent is a suspect, get a warrant, take the child into protective custody, charge the perpetrator; but don't skirt the law.

I could totally understand if a child was being harmed in any way, however that is not the case whatsoever! If anything, all people tell me is how I spoil her!! She's 3, the light of our lives! And no she didn't tell me that she was questioned, the director/owner just casually told me. She said she didn't know anything about it, but did try and make a few calls to find out, but no one knew. The owner said that her and another little boy had been questioned today, the little boy is often in trouble and they are friends, they talk about one another non stop.
When I asked my 3 yr old what the lady asked her, she said something about "time out" and "being good", and that's it. And of course we asked her a few more times but she didnt really say much, she's 3, what can we expect her to fully understand or remember.

With all do respect, if she was a tiny bit older then I could tell her that she shouldn't talk to strangers, but we have taught her to be respectful to others.

I will be making a trip to DCF Monday to find out what it's all about. This is important to me too because I need to protect my child too.

Thank you all for your advise.

I never suspected you to be anything but a concerned mother.

We, my wife and I, always taught our children to never speak to anyone, unless one of us were present.

They were taught to ask for mommy or daddy to come.

What was allegedly done in the matter of your child was an attempt to ignore your rights as a parent.

I'd be livid, but I would speak with the school first and inquire what their policy is in such matters?

The school should have contacted you when anyone wishes to be alone with your child.

Would the school gave allowed those creeps to take your precious child with them, and never told you a thing?

After visiting with the school authorities, I'd speak with an attorney.

I'd ask the attorney just how far your state allows those cro magnon thugs to go in badgering, sneaking around, and interrogating a toddler, or any young child.

I'd want to know who, if anyone , has a duty to notify the parent(s) when those snoops come around.

Just so you know, as you were not a suspect, why didn't they contact you about chatting with your child?

I hope the other child is okay, gets help, but why fill your innocent baby's head with thoughts best left in some gutter?

Its the law, as long as even the abuser is the parent.

I saw nothing about this mother abusing the child.

I staunchly support protecting children.

I also staunchly believe that ALL rights be protected.

That includes the rights of the parents.

I've seen the witch hunts that these so called child protective agencies instigate.

I've tried a few of those cases.

So, just because they represent the state, doesn't mean they should be allowed to break the law.

Nevertheless, show me the legal authority that permits CPS to avoid or ignore the parental rights.

If the parent is a suspect, get a warrant, take the child into protective custody, charge the perpetrator; but don't skirt the law.

You might want to read this ;)

https://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/usermanuals/cps/cpsf.cfm

And don't get me wrong - I'm perhaps most "CPS can be deadly" person I know, except from a certain attorney who lives in Ohio. We ALL agree that they overstep their boundaries. On this one though? According to our own government, speaking to the child without a parent being present is not verboten and may, in some circumstances, actually be necessary.

From the site I linked:

Depending on the circumstances of the report, it must be determined whether it is in the child's best interest for the CPS worker to initiate an unannounced visit to interview the parent or to contact the parent to schedule an interview. If the child is out of the home at the time (e.g., the child is at school), the process should begin with an introduction to the parent(s) to explain the purposes of the initial assessment or investigation and, if required by law, request permission to interview all family members individually, beginning with the identified child. It is important to remember that the safety of the child is of paramount importance in every case. If there is concern that talking with the parents first or obtaining their permission to interview the child places the child at risk of imminent harm, then the CPS caseworker should proceed in a manner that assures the child's safety.

You might want to read this ;)

https://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/usermanuals/cps/cpsf.cfm

And don't get me wrong - I'm perhaps most "CPS can be deadly" person I know, except from a certain attorney who lives in Ohio. We ALL agree that they overstep their boundaries. On this one though? According to our own government, speaking to the child without a parent being present is not verboten and may, in some circumstances, actually be necessary.

From the site I linked:

More rhetoric wrapped in bureaucratic fiat and imperialistic drivel.

IMHO, it's worse because this child wasn't being harmed by its mother.

The child was alleged to have known SOMETHING, purportedly because it was friends with a child victim.

Overstepping to say the least.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back