Daycare/debts

NVee

I had a few questions. My ex and I separated at the end of 2017 and relocated. At the time, he was on my vehicle insurance policy, and we had to get a storage unit for the household belongings. He said he would pay half for both, and ended up refusing to pay any of it, knowing both things were in my name, they HAD to be paid, so he just would not pay anything towards it. When I began working, the kids went to daycare, and for 7 months, once again, he refused completely to pay anything towards daycare, saying he did not have the money, and that because I made more I would just have to "figure it out, its not his problem". Later on I found out that the entire time he was banking thousands of dollars and just refusing to help to put me in a bad financial situation.

Between the 3 of those things, I went back through bank statements and added it all up, and split it in half to see what his portion would have been, which came to about $7,400. Would I be able to ask for the repayment of that money?

There was also about $15k of credit card debt from when we were married. He decided to not work for long periods of time, causing me to use the credit card (only in my name) to make ends meet (we have 2 kids, both were in daycare, and even when he wasn't working, he refused to help with the kids so they had to be in daycare). I know that typically that counts as marital property, but a few months ago I did a debt consolidation loan because the credit card payments were so high, and I would have never paid it off, and of course he refused to contribute anything towards it, so I got that loan. I can show that the loan went directly to pay the credit card (the bank itself sent the check to the bank that I had the credit card through). Will having it turned into a debt consolidation mess up my chances of him having to pay half?

I had a few questions. My ex and I separated at the end of 2017 and relocated. At the time, he was on my vehicle insurance policy, and we had to get a storage unit for the household belongings. He said he would pay half for both, and ended up refusing to pay any of it, knowing both things were in my name, they HAD to be paid, so he just would not pay anything towards it. When I began working, the kids went to daycare, and for 7 months, once again, he refused completely to pay anything towards daycare, saying he did not have the money, and that because I made more I would just have to "figure it out, its not his problem". Later on I found out that the entire time he was banking thousands of dollars and just refusing to help to put me in a bad financial situation.

Between the 3 of those things, I went back through bank statements and added it all up, and split it in half to see what his portion would have been, which came to about $7,400. Would I be able to ask for the repayment of that money?

There was also about $15k of credit card debt from when we were married. He decided to not work for long periods of time, causing me to use the credit card (only in my name) to make ends meet (we have 2 kids, both were in daycare, and even when he wasn't working, he refused to help with the kids so they had to be in daycare). I know that typically that counts as marital property, but a few months ago I did a debt consolidation loan because the credit card payments were so high, and I would have never paid it off, and of course he refused to contribute anything towards it, so I got that loan. I can show that the loan went directly to pay the credit card (the bank itself sent the check to the bank that I had the credit card through). Will having it turned into a debt consolidation mess up my chances of him having to pay half?
What state?
Is the ex the father of the children?
If he is the father is there a court order for support?

In Maryland. He is the father of the children, and there was no court order for support. I just feel like he should be held responsible for his portions of the bills that I paid after we had split, nothing extra. He is doing anything possible, especially financially to ensure I cant move on, and that I can not afford to live on my own. I am fine with paying my portion of things, but feel like he should do the same, especially when its thousands of dollars that I just did not have, but had no choice but to pay since it was in my name and he flat out refused. I just figured I would get some opinions on if its something I had any potential in getting back since it was all done in spite on his end. It has been an absolute nightmare with him (between him holding the kids from me, threats, false reports to cps and a false domestic violence report made on his end...both of which were denied...its just insanity.)

He is doing basically the same thing now with the home we own. Mortgage is only in my name but both on the deed. We have renters. He is now refusing to sign to renew the lease or sign off on anything having to do with the house, refusing to help with any repairs (2k out of my pocket in the last month), unless I agree with HIS divorce terms. (The home is in Florida).

In Maryland. He is the father of the children, and there was no court order for support. I just feel like he should be held responsible for his portions of the bills that I paid after we had split, nothing extra. He is doing anything possible, especially financially to ensure I cant move on, and that I can not afford to live on my own. I am fine with paying my portion of things, but feel like he should do the same, especially when its thousands of dollars that I just did not have, but had no choice but to pay since it was in my name and he flat out refused. I just figured I would get some opinions on if its something I had any potential in getting back since it was all done in spite on his end. It has been an absolute nightmare with him (between him holding the kids from me, threats, false reports to cps and a false domestic violence report made on his end...both of which were denied...its just insanity.)

He is doing basically the same thing now with the home we own. Mortgage is only in my name but both on the deed. We have renters. He is now refusing to sign to renew the lease or sign off on anything having to do with the house, refusing to help with any repairs (2k out of my pocket in the last month), unless I agree with HIS divorce terms. (The home is in Florida).
Everything you mention should be handled in your divorce. Do you have an attorney?

Back