Daughter not receiving pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

antisasmom

My daughter worked for a daycare center for the summer. On August 10, she was given a paycheck for the two week pay period and was asked to hold the check for one week, as the money was not in the account.
My daughter held the check, as requested by the owner/director, and tried twice to cash the check and both times, the check was denied. She is now owed those two weeks plus one week in August. She spoke with the owner/director at the end of August and asked her about her pay. The director said, in front of the co-director and guest, that daughter had two options: she could wait until October first or sue her...either way...she would get her money.
My daughter called the director this morning and asked about payment. Director told daughter that the business had been sold (same story told in August) and the bank had not, as yet, given her a closing date and there is no money in the account. When pressed, the director said...again...daughter had two options...she could wait until the 15th of October or she could sue her.
What, if any recourse, does daughter have and is there any guarantee that she will receive the 3 weeks pay and is she entitled to any reimbursement over and above what she is owed? (Like interest on the pay, etc?) Daughter is in college and is in need of the funds for expenses and she has done everything the director has asked her to do. Yet, the director has not responded in kind.
Thank you...

She can file a complaint with the state DOL. However, there is a certain amount of truth to the "can't get blood out of a turnip" theory. If the money isn't there, then a claim with the DOL is not going to suddenly make the money appear.

Whether or not she is entitled to any additional compensation is state specific but there are only a very few states where she is entitled to "penalty" pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back