Damage caused by low hanging fixture in parking garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregg_00SS

2 days I ago I went to Denver for dinner. I parked in a public parking garage and obtained some damage to the roof of my truck in the process. I'm looking to see if I have any legal standing on having the owner of the garage pay for the repairs to my vehicle.

My truck cleared both of the posts outside the enterance stating that vehicles have to be under X amount of feet high. Majority of the spots in the garahe were very tight and extremely short, especially for a full-size ext cab truck. I notced some rather large parking spots that ran parallel with the wall and decided to park there. They had a large A/C or heat pipe than ran the lenght of the wall and briefly noticed some rectangular vents every now and then which protruded from the side of this pipe.

In the process of parking my vehicle in this spot, I found that these vents were below the established height limits, and thus wedged my truck under the vent causing several large dents and severe scratching of my roof.

The vents were not marked or painted in anyway to warn motorists, nor were there any signs stating these spots were for smaller vehicles. My expectations as a vehicle operator, are that when I enter a garage with a set height limit, that there should be no obstructions in that garage where I can legally drive or park that are below that stated height. Do I have any legal standing concerning this issue?

Probably yes, It depends on the contract and the details of your car, but most probably the garage owner was negligent in installing these things and not warning customers about their height if they indeed are lower than the waning sign at the entrance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back