cybersex in online games

Status
Not open for further replies.

mydragon

All right.. question is. If myself as an adult in an online game where the expectation that the other players are most likely adults has cybersex with another player, and then finds out after the fact that the other player is infact a minor. Is there any chance of prosecution from the minors parents? Is it less if I've asked the other player if he/she is infact a minor or not and they lied about their age?

I fear this cannot be answered in a general way. One would have to look at the complete details of the case and even then it could very well be up to the mood of a judge. This is an area where the law is constantly changing and much is not really established yet. Usually these questions involve criminal law, so on the civil side of the law there is even less clearly established case law on this yet.

You Did What?

Hey come on, you knew it could have been a child, didn't you? Of course you did.
Many of the people in online games are under 18, and many of them are over 18, it depends on the game.
But you knew it could be a child.
I'd think long and hard about what you did. And I'd strongly suggest you never do it again.

And if you get prosecuted for it I'd say you deserve what you get.
Pedophiles are not good people, at least not in my book.

They go after pedophiles who knowingly solicit minors. You should get into the habit of asking the person if they are at least 18 before you do this. If they say they are 18 but are not, well, there is no way for you to know that and not sure how much trouble you can get into since you did not knowingly solicit a minor.

I would think the child should be in more toruble for lying about their age. That is why parents need to supervise their kids when they are online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back