Cyber Defamation & Invasion of Privacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twinkle

The web site in question is utilizing laws out of Los Angeles County, California, USA. They call themselves a background research tool. I have received a couple of emails from this organization informing me when that their users have been researching my background at their web site. The info seekers and the responders interact with each other through anonymous emails provided through the web site after paying the web site a membership fee.

The email link takes me to their web site where I can see my email address, the date & a sentence saying either looking for info or have info. There is no way for me to find out who is looking or responding, or what was said unless I pay a fee.

If I pay the fee I can send an email to an anonymous seeker/responder. The person doesn't have to respond to my inquiry, and even if he/she does, I don't know if they will be truthful about what they said about me.

My concern is any person can spread lies and libel someone in this way. I think if someone was honestly acting as a reference, they would use the investigated persons email to inform them that they have responded to an inquiry and inform that person what was said.

A potential employer might request info by posting someone's email address or other info and anyone that recognizes it can respond and say anything, including false, damaging statements. Doesn't this have great potential for defamation and invasion of privacy? How can this organization operate legally? How can they legally refuse to disclose to the investigated person the information that was provided? Can't the individuals responding and/or seeking be held liable?

I'm not sure exactly what is transpiring. Why don't you provide us with the address of this site so that it is easier to comment about their practices?

Originally posted by Twinkle
The web site in question is utilizing laws out of Los Angeles County, California, USA. They call themselves a background research tool. I have received a couple of emails from this organization informing me when that their users have been researching my background at their web site. The info seekers and the responders interact with each other through anonymous emails provided through the web site after paying the web site a membership fee.

The email link takes me to their web site where I can see my email address, the date & a sentence saying either looking for info or have info. There is no way for me to find out who is looking or responding, or what was said unless I pay a fee.

If I pay the fee I can send an email to an anonymous seeker/responder. The person doesn't have to respond to my inquiry, and even if he/she does, I don't know if they will be truthful about what they said about me.

My concern is any person can spread lies and libel someone in this way. I think if someone was honestly acting as a reference, they would use the investigated persons email to inform them that they have responded to an inquiry and inform that person what was said.

A potential employer might request info by posting someone's email address or other info and anyone that recognizes it can respond and say anything, including false, damaging statements. Doesn't this have great potential for defamation and invasion of privacy? How can this organization operate legally? How can they legally refuse to disclose to the investigated person the information that was provided? Can't the individuals responding and/or seeking be held liable?

The web site is Word of Mouth. org (not the software opt-out company). After doing additional research I have found out it is a scam. I found a site where people were discussing Word of Mouth. Some people actually paid the $20 and were ripped off. Others have filed a complaint with the FTC like I did. The owner of the site is committing fraud and extortion.

Originally posted by Twinkle
The web site is Word of Mouth. org (not the software opt-out company). After doing additional research I have found out it is a scam. I found a site where people were discussing Word of Mouth. Some people actually paid the $20 and were ripped off. Others have filed a complaint with the FTC like I did. The owner of the site is committing fraud and extortion.
I'm sorry to hear about this... unfortunately Internet scams are common... I wish you the best of luck... let us know how things turn out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back