Customer Discrimination based on Appearance, Address, or Bank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AverageAmerican

I went into a store today, and before grabbing any items or ordering food I asked "Do you accept personal checks?" The worker behind the register told me to hold on one minute and then he would take a look at the check. I thought I would just get a simple yes or no?

When I stepped up to the counter he looked me up and down, then looked at the check, and started shaking his head no. I interjected that I had id and that my banking institution had OD protection, if that is something he was worried about. He then looked at my address (which was in the same city, and only a few streets up from the store, but is widely known as Section 8 housing), then looked me up and down again, and said "Nah, I think I'll pass." When I started to ask why, he acted like he was busy with something and said over his shoulder "Go to the bank and get the money, then come back."

I could understand if my city was many miles away, or if I didn't have proper identification. Or even if it was a starter check, or if I was on a list of people for return checks. But he checked nothing, and asked for nothing. He denied me soley either on my appearance, my address (which again is well known in this city as Section 8 housing), or my choice of banking institution (which is Bank of America?).

After doing research I know of several people who use personal checks there all the time, with no problem at all, they don't even get asked for identification.

Is this discrimination? I feel completely horrible after this, and extremely embarrased! I feel like I don't even want to ask people about checks anymore, and I definately will never shop there again!

No, he didn't discriminate against you.

Yes, if I were you, I'd take my business elsewhere.

Sorry to hear of your embarrassing moment. Get a checkcard, that will never be turned down by the store.

No, he didn't discriminate against you.

Yes, if I were you, I'd take my business elsewhere.

Ditto! It's up to him to decide if based on stats you are a credit risk. Nobody is required to extend you credit, imo.

But yes, I'd take my business where I'm appreciated, or, if you are new in town, you could see if a couple of visits to the store (you become a familiar face) makes a difference.

Not a legal opinion, just my personal one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back