Custody of my granddaughter

Padochee

Jurisdiction
Florida
Trying to get custody of my granddaughter who is currently in foster care in Texas. Trying to get a home study done. Running out of time and no answers.

Well, as you have provided zero facts, all we can advise is either a family law lawyer or asking the agency who currently has her what you must do.

Well, as you have provided zero facts, all we can advise is either a family law lawyer or asking the agency who currently has her what you must do.
My granddaughter was molested and put into foster care I have done everything I can to find out how to get a home study done so I can gain custody of her. Problem being I'm in Florida she is in Texas.

Is this your son or daughter's child? Is your son or daughter married to the other parent? Where is the other parent? How long ago did this happen? How old is the child? Do you have a relationship with the child? Are you able to fully support the child? Has there been any court activity in the case? Does your child approve of you as a guardian?

Out of state placements are rare as it is difficult for the state to monitor the situation with the child if she is in Florida and the parent(s) and agency are in TX. Getting a TX agency to visit and clear your home in Florida is asking a lot. Especially if this is expected to be a short term placement while there is an investigation, it may not be worth the cost and difficulty. If this is a long term situation and you are looking to adopt or be named the legal guardian, you can petition the court in TX for this.

Is this your son or daughter's child? Is your son or daughter married to the other parent? Where is the other parent? How long ago did this happen? How old is the child? Do you have a relationship with the child? Are you able to fully support the child? Has there been any court activity in the case? Does your child approve of you as a guardian?

Out of state placements are rare as it is difficult for the state to monitor the situation with the child if she is in Florida and the parent(s) and agency are in TX. Getting a TX agency to visit and clear your home in Florida is asking a lot. Especially if this is expected to be a short term placement while there is an investigation, it may not be worth the cost and difficulty. If this is a long term situation and you are looking to adopt or be named the legal guardian, you can petition the court in TX for this.

Yes my daughter approves It would be long term. How would I go about petitioning the court. My granddaughter loves me and we have a very good relationship.

Yes my daughter approves It would be long term. How would I go about petitioning the court. My granddaughter loves me and we have a very good relationship.

A relative was in a similar predicament.
At the time she lived in MI.
The child was in GA.
She had to relocate to GA, to make it happen.

It ended up costing her about $25,000.

As mentioned above, out of state placements are rare, very rare.

I suggest you make time to discuss the matter with a couple of FL lawyers.

Be prepared to open up the checkbook.

A relative was in a similar predicament.
At the time she lived in MI.
The child was in GA.
She had to relocate to GA, to make it happen.

It ended up costing her about $25,000.

As mentioned above, out of state placements are rare, very rare.

I suggest you make time to discuss the matter with a couple of FL lawyers.

Be prepared to open up the checkbook.

Back