Custody of grandchildren

Janice Smith

Jurisdiction
Alabama
My son lost his 2 children on year ago we have had many family members that would take the babies myself 1st. They took the children because of drug use. At that time I didn't have my own home was living with my daughter, but they gave me 30 minutes to come up with a safety plan so the state took them that day because my daughter has 5 children that I was living with. The children later went to my sons baby sister by different mother which has allowed me visits and time with the children. My son worked real hard on getting his kids back and they returned home with him in June of this year he had a old warrent that got him arrested in July which his old case worker knew about. He was in jail for 3 weeks the day he was arrested his new case worker called me at work and ask if I had a safety plan and of course I left work went and picked the baby girl up from daycare and got my grandson from school. They stayed with me 2 days and the worker called me and ask me to pack all the kids belongings that the sister would be coming back to get them. It broke my heart and the babies. I feel that there is prejudice in this case now my son can't get his kids back and I can't have them because I am the mother to the kids daddy and they are using back problems that I have had against me. Please someone help me I can't let these babies go back to state custody. They are my whole world. I don't know what to do.

Without speaking about how it hurts your feelings, can you tell me how the children are being placed in danger while staying with their aunt?

Your post is a bit all over the place.

I think what you're saying is that, one year ago, your son lost custodial or visitation rights regarding his children because of his drug abuse. The children went to live with your son's half sister (who is not your daughter) until June of this year, at which time they were returned to your son's custody. Unfortunately, your son was arrested (again?) in July. The kids were placed with you for a couple days, but they are now back with your son's half sister.

All correct?

One thing I find very odd is that your post is completely silent regarding the mother of the children. Why isn't she involved in this?

I feel that there is prejudice in this case

What does this mean?

now my son can't get his kids back

Harsh though this may seem, you son does not sound fit to be taking care of children.

I can't have them because I am the mother to the kids daddy and they are using back problems that I have had against me. Please someone help me I can't let these babies go back to state custody. They are my whole world. I don't know what to do.

The goal of the authorities is to place the children in the best possible environment. The person or people in charge of making that decision have determined that the children's aunt is a better caregiver than you are. Obviously, no one here can intelligently assess the propriety of that decision (although your description of your living situation suggests that it's not the best). If you want to contest it, hire an attorney to help you.

My son lost his 2 children on year ago we have had many family members that would take the babies myself 1st. They took the children because of drug use. At that time I didn't have my own home was living with my daughter, but they gave me 30 minutes to come up with a safety plan so the state took them that day because my daughter has 5 children that I was living with. The children later went to my sons baby sister by different mother which has allowed me visits and time with the children. My son worked real hard on getting his kids back and they returned home with him in June of this year he had a old warrent that got him arrested in July which his old case worker knew about. He was in jail for 3 weeks the day he was arrested his new case worker called me at work and ask if I had a safety plan and of course I left work went and picked the baby girl up from daycare and got my grandson from school. They stayed with me 2 days and the worker called me and ask me to pack all the kids belongings that the sister would be coming back to get them. It broke my heart and the babies. I feel that there is prejudice in this case now my son can't get his kids back and I can't have them because I am the mother to the kids daddy and they are using back problems that I have had against me. Please someone help me I can't let these babies go back to state custody. They are my whole world. I don't know what to do.

It doesn't sound like they are in state custody. It sounds like they went to a family member...your "son's baby sister by a different mother.." so is it your son's half sister? So their aunt? Idk I'm a little confused by your post ultimately.

If they aren't being abused or neglected with the person who they are with, what do you expect the state to do? It sounds like your son needs to clear up this "old case" and then stay out of trouble and stay sober. If he knew he had a warrant out there, why didn't he clear it up before he go his kids back? Warrants will stay active for a long time. My ex husband had one active from 2012 until earlier this year the county prosecutor finally just dismissed it. (It was in another state and he hasnt' been back there and he's been in and out of prison for other stuff anyway).

Your son needs to just get his life in check and get his kids back and then no one has to worry about state involvement.

Back