Custody/ child support/jurisdication?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmcgill

I am needing some help. My ex-husband and I were married and divorced in West Virginia. Our case with the children reisdes in WV. He has moved to NC and I am in VA. He has primary physical custody of our boys and I just received papers stating he wants the case to be moved to NC, custody of the boys, increase in child support, and for me to pay for the cost of this action?
Can he do this or do both parties have to agree to switch the location of the case? Also, what state should I hire a lawyer from?
Thanks,
Jerri

You dont have to agree to the new jurisdiction. The old state meeds to release it to the new state. I sm not sure how that works or the liklihood of that happening.

If he is the one initiating the court proceedings I cannot imagine you will be forced to pay his legal fees. He can always ask. You are also free to do the same. Unless there is a huge difference in incomes that is not awarded most of the time.

Since he is asking for jurisdiction to be changed to NC you probably will wind up hiring an attorney there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back