Crowdfunding for legal fees

akkatude17

Jurisdiction
Arizona
I filed internal EEO complaints and US EEOC charges against a state agency. The EEOC charge is still pending. I have already spent $15,000 on an attorney, have a very strong case and anticipate that a lawsuit is my only hope and the fees will likely be in the 6 digits.

I am considering opening a GoFundMe or similar account to help pay for an attorney but these sites require the name of the recipient and usually, in order to get people to help, there needs to be a description of the main concerns and events of the case. If I use my name and describe some aspects of the charges could this hurt my case? Would this be a bad idea? I'm currently reaching out to recommended attorneys about a contingency agreement but from what I have heard, lawyers won't listen or talk to you without a lot of money up front.

Many attorneys will offer free or low cost consultations. You can run your case by one of them and get an idea of how strong your case is and how much it would cost

There are websites that claim to offer crowd funding for legal issues:

here are a couple such sites.
I am NOT endorsing these sites, just ILLUSTRATING that such sites DO exist!

Crowdfunding for legal and social justice - Funded Justice

CrowdJustice: The world's crowdfunding platform for legal action

The latter website is the one that Stephanie Clifford, AKA, Stormy Daniels is using to TRY and fund her case against President Trump; or so her lawyer says.
Thank you very much for the information.

Many attorneys will offer free or low cost consultations. You can run your case by one of them and get an idea of how strong your case is and how much it would cost
Thank you for responding! I currently have an attorney that feels I have a very strong case. However since it is a case against a government agency they say the fees would likely be over $100,000. Their firm is a smaller one and doesn't have the personnel and resources to take it on contingency, and I was hoping to find someone who can. This is proving to be difficult so I am now looking into crowdfunding as a possibility. But I am worried about the dangers this could cause to my case and even my career.

I don't want to rain on your parade but as often as not (and sometimes more often) "You have a strong case but we don't have the personnel and resources to take it on" is code for, "You've got nothing, we're not interested, and this is a polite way of getting you out of our offices". Obviously I can't know if this is the case or not, but it really can't do any harm to get a second and even a third opinion before you start fundraising. After all, you can't do anything until you get a right to sue letter from the EEOC. (Note for future - EVERYONE gets a right to sue letter from the EEOC, regardless of the strength of the case)

I don't want to rain on your parade but as often as not (and sometimes more often) "You have a strong case but we don't have the personnel and resources to take it on" is code for, "You've got nothing, we're not interested, and this is a polite way of getting you out of our offices". Obviously I can't know if this is the case or not, but it really can't do any harm to get a second and even a third opinion before you start fundraising. After all, you can't do anything until you get a right to sue letter from the EEOC. (Note for future - EVERYONE gets a right to sue letter from the EEOC, regardless of the strength of the case)
I understand what you are saying. My situation is a little weird so I don't want to go into too many details. I've gotten a second opinion but they practice law in another state. I'm pretty sure of the cost of the litigation and the strength of the case. But finding someone to take it on contingency against a government agency seems like it'll be nearly impossible. I've just started looking so perhaps I'm being overly pessimistic. I was just wondering about the crowd funding because I hadn't considered it before and have been feeling sad and a bit desperate about all of this. I already spent a lot of money and it appears I'm being blackballed in my profession. Seemed like finding funding to offer a potential attorney might help.

There really is no way for anyone here to know if crowdfunding would be a good idea or not. It could be fine, it could backfire on you. It all depends on how the various attorneys in the case choose to address it or if they address it, and that's something we just can't predict.

Back