Criminal rape case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexpasteur

My brother went to trial for a case involving rape.
The jury convicted him on 10 charges.
The sentence date will be in June 2014.
We want to release the present lawyer and hire a new lawyer.
We have a few questions stated below.

Do you recommend we hire a lawyer from another county or stay with a lawyer in the present county for the sentencing?
If we hire a lawyer from out of county do you believe that they can lower the sentence or will this not have any affect on the sentence?
We are planning for an appeal. Should we choose an appeal lawyer that has a business relationship with any of the appeal judges or the court?
Would a lawyer that has no relationship with anyone involved in the case be a better choice or should a lawyer with a relationship with
the court, the judge or the prosecutor be beneficial for the sentencing and the appeal?
Essentially, I am asking whether hiring a new lawyer will harm, benefit or make no difference.

No one but your brother gets to make that determination. And without knowing what the case was, how it was presented, and how much evidence the prosecution had against him, it's impossible to say whether a new lawyer would be effective.

Your brother is convicted of several serious felonies.
The greatest lawyer in the country couldn't help him, assuming he can be helped, until after the sentencing.
An interlocutory appeal could be made, even a habeas corpus motion (in either federal or state court, possibly both) could be brought.

The best thing to do now, and the cheapest is let sentencing occur.
Then hire another lawyer. its your brother's call as to the lawyer, and seek post-conviction remedies.

Good luck.

I think your brother free for my various issue. I hope they can give you better
Best luck!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back