Criminal Background, Credit and Driving Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slipstrm

My Texas employer of 7+ years has mandated we sign a document for a criminal background check.
I contacted the HR Director and he emailed me back saying the only thing they would check is Criminal History.
However, I got the form and it reads "This process may include obtaining and verification of: education, criminal history, credit history, governmental and court public records, driving records, personal references and other information relating to my background, character and personal reputation which company in question may deem relevant to my employment."
I do not drive for this company, I have been employed for 7+ years, my credit is immaculate and I have no criminal record.
I dont feel comfortable signing this doc the way its worded.
I have requested a modified document, and that is causing a problem, Refusal may cost me my job, what should I do???

What do you fear they will find? It is a standard document used by countless employers nowadays. I don't see why you are refusing to sign it since you seem to have a spotless record...

I do have a spotless record , I'm a CHL holder in my state, I'm afraid of nothing, its the principle of the thing, they say one thing, yet the doc says something else.
My credit and driving record are none of their business.
This company has lied to me time after time since I hired on, But thats another story, they are hardly trustworth if you ask me!

Last edited:
Not exactly - a company can require that type of information to ensure that they have the right people handling and representing their business. I don't see why the refusal from your part since, as previously mentioned, it is standard procedure in this day and age to do these types of checks on old and new employees. If nothing to fear, let them have at it. Nothing unfair here - you have no legal case.

Your refusal to sign is big red flag. If your record is so spotless why worry? If I was the employer this would give me great concern. By the way there is nothing illegal in what you describe

I guess I'll sign it then, nothing to hide.
I just dont like being lied to when I ask point blank questions.
I guess that wouldnt bother you all.

My husband has had to submit to backgrounds far more searching than this standard one you describe. He too has nothing to hide and agrees on the spot

I reckon I'm just more concerned, careful or cynical that ya'll are.
Must be something to do with being a Southern Man.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back