Criminal activity for creating false facebook accounts?

D

drmk24

Jurisdiction
New York
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
Not sure if this is best place to post, but curious if I have any legal options....

My wife and I own our own small business, LLC. We have 8 employees. One of our employees has a very disgruntled ex-wife who has been creating Facebook accounts with our company logo as the cover picture. She is then going on to create posts stating that people should not get involved with our company because of the employees we hire. This 'ex' is taking photos from our Facebook page and posting them on the fake accounts, making them appear that they are real. She is also taking pictures from the particular employee's new husband's (I know, this is confusing) Facebook page and posting that he is a child molester and that he is at our events taking pictures.

The employee is saying she does not want to take legal action because she can not prove that it is her exwife doing the actual posting.

I would like to do something, being that I feel this is negatively effecting our business, but not sure if anything can be done about simply reposting pictures on facebook.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Or, terminate the employee.
You need not provide a reason, simply say, "Sorry, we no longer require your services. Good bye!"

The employee is saying she does not want to take legal action because she can not prove that it is her exwife doing the actual posting.

Write the employment up for "misconduct" and give him 24 hours to get his/her ex to take down the pages. He/she is the problem if he/she is not the solution. Then fire the employee if the pages stay up (make sure you report "misconduct" to the unemployment office) and sue them both for "tortious interference" (google it). Grind them both into the dirt.

Write the employment up for "misconduct" and give him 24 hours to get his/her ex to take down the pages. He/she is the problem if he/she is not the solution. Then fire the employee if the pages stay up (make sure you report "misconduct" to the unemployment office) and sue them both for "tortious interference" (google it). Grind them both into the dirt.

Who are you and what have you done with Jack?

I'm more confused by the gender of the employee (he/she and reference to her wife - never know these days, sign of the times) so I'll just use references. If the employee refuses to take reasonable steps to protect the image of the company then it seems you've got your remedies. But you can also take action, especially if photos or other property of yours on your company Facebook pages are being scraped and posted on new Facebook pages.

You need to report the conduct to Facebook and best if you have an attorney assist you to demand that Facebook preserve evidence surrounding the creation of the page and the account that posted the Facebook company page - such as the IP address and any other information they may be relevant. The takedown part is easy but making it stop is more complicated. You may want to also let the employee know that you've made legal requests to Facebook for information surrounding who may have created the fake Facebook account and pages, which can be passed along to the ex-wife. But the choices are yours, especially if the employee doesn't want to get involved at all but will continue to be a source of an indirect problem.

As this seems to be a civil matter, I don't think the police will be able to be involved in any way, such as the husband complaining to the police about the ex-wife's alleged actions. Good luck.

I'm more confused by the gender of the employee (he/she and reference to her wife - never know these days, sign of the times) so I'll just use references. If the employee refuses to take reasonable steps to protect the image of the company then it seems you've got your remedies. But you can also take action, especially if photos or other property of yours on your company Facebook pages are being scraped and posted on new Facebook pages.

You need to report the conduct to Facebook and best if you have an attorney assist you to demand that Facebook preserve evidence surrounding the creation of the page and the account that posted the Facebook company page - such as the IP address and any other information they may be relevant. The takedown part is easy but making it stop is more complicated. You may want to also let the employee know that you've made legal requests to Facebook for information surrounding who may have created the fake Facebook account and pages, which can be passed along to the ex-wife. But the choices are yours, especially if the employee doesn't want to get involved at all but will continue to be a source of an indirect problem.

As this seems to be a civil matter, I don't think the police will be able to be involved in any way, such as the husband complaining to the police about the ex-wife's alleged actions. Good luck.

Professor, my old friend, you're (as Odyssey proclaimed in their hit song of the same name) "A Native New Yorker". LOL

We are living in the 21st century, friend.

A husband can have a wife, and a wife can also marry a wife, as can a husband marry a husband.

Yes, old friend, WIFE and WIFE unions are no longer rarities.

Back