credit card debit - joint responsibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maygem

My husband and I have resided separately for over 2 years. Presently he is living in Arizona and I am a resident of NY state. We have not filed for legal separation in either state.

The most important question - he secured credit cards in his name alone shortly before our break-up and while we resided together in Arizona. He has not worked in the past two years and has not contributed to my support. Due to his lack of income he has not paid on the accumulating debt (late fees & interest) from these cards. #1 - Am I liable for his credit card debit? #2 - Must I submit papers to court for legal separation before going for a divorce in NY state or is it possible to proceed directly for a divorce?

I think it worthwhile to mention that we have divided and are in possession of personal items. Our automobiles are registered and owned independently. No joint assets - no house, property or material goods are owned jointly.

You can file for divorce in NY provided you meet the residency requirement. If the cards are in his name you should not be responsible.

I was married for 21 years, I was forcing myself to stick with him for the kids. But I ended up having an affair and he basically kicked me out. I now live in an apartment with NO assets. We have a house, rental house, and a building (large). I am happy to walk away and give him all the assets. All I wanted was money to pay off our debts., $33,000. Tomorrow it was all going to be settled, but my lawyer brought it to my attention that I am going to have substancial fees to pay as the money is coming out of his 401k. I dont know what to do-I have to have the money to break even, he claims he cannot compromise because he is broke and has no equity.

I appreciate your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back