Crazy New Mom Threatens Family

unica759

Jurisdiction
Maryland
My sister in-law just had a baby. On rder to keep the story short I'll name her "P". Ever since the baby was born P tells her husband she hears voices of people talking about her and plotting to take her baby. Recently, P lashed out on my husband and myself saying she knows that we are trying to get her and that we are harassing her. P admits she has NO proof,but she is going to get us charged. I have researched her symptoms and it seems like she may have some type of metal disorder called "PPD" or Paronoid Personality Disorder, but sje refuses to get evaluated. MY QUESTION(S) IS: How can you force someone to get metally evaluated? My husband is in the process of getting His greencard can her crazy antics somehow affect him? If P husband isn't a legal resident can he still get custody of the baby? Thank you for your time I realize it was a long post. p.s. we all live together.

If you believe a person poses a danger to you, or others call the police.

You're not a psychiatrist, so making any diagnosis is meaningless.

Relatives can have a person committed on an emergency basis for a mental health evaluation.

If she's married, her spouse can initiate that process by calling the police.

The police know what must be done, if called.

Thank you Army Judge for your reply. I am not nor have I claimed to be an psychiatrist. The spouse is concerned that by forcing her to get evaluated may have some repercussion on his greencard application.

Thank you Army Judge for your reply. I am not nor have I claimed to be an psychiatrist. The spouse is concerned that by forcing her to get evaluated may have some repercussion on his greencard application.

If she's a fruitcake, goes bong like a church bell, freaks out like a lunatic, all of you might have cause to be alarmed if she decides while you're all sleeping to slaughter you with Molotov cocktails setting the house ablaze, gets a gun and thinks she's Jessie James, or tries to hack you all to pieces with a hatchet.

If her spouse is in the country illegally, it might be time for the innocent ones present to abandon the home and go somewhere safe.

Having someone involuntarily committed for mental health evaluations is not easy. The person must typically be found to be in grave circumstances or an immediate danger to themselves or others. If threats to jam herself or others are made retort it to police and allow them opportunity to assist if possible.
Showing symptoms of a possible disorder is not sufficient for involuntary commitment. The person would have to be convinced to go willingly.
If others in the household feel unsafe their fastest resolution is to leave. It will take much longer to force someone else out if it is possible at all.

None of this should effect an application for a green card. So long as he is in the country legally he should not fear any action regarding the courts or law enforcement.

You might look up mental health agencies in your county and obtain additional information and resources.

PPD can also stand for Post-Partum Depression, just for the record.

My sister in-law just had a baby.

Is this your brother's wife or husband's sister?

MY QUESTION(S) IS: How can you force someone to get metally evaluated?

For the most part, you cannot. What does this woman's husband (or the unmarried father of the child) think about what's happening. If she is a danger to herself or others, contact the police or the local child protective services authority.

My husband is in the process of getting His greencard can her crazy antics somehow affect him?

"Somehow affect him"? Probably. Will "her crazy antics" have anything to do with your husband getting his green card? Probably not.

we all live together.

Seems like a good time to find your own place.

Back