Consumer Fraud Craigslist Scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

aznninja

Hi,

My name is Jeff and im a junior in High school. Recently i was scammed while attempting to buy tickets off someone on craigslist. I was wondering if you would have any advice on how i could proceed. i would greatly appreciate it. Heres the story:

Me and my friends wanted to go to great america so we looked online to buy discounted tickets. I've bought items on craigslist before so that was the first place i checked. I saw a post for Great america season passes on craigslist.

On Thursday, April 30th, I called that person and they said they worked for fedex and they were busy so they would call me back. His number was (510)776-5958. He called me back and told me that his employee would contact me about the tickets. A bit later, i was contacted by his emplyee that had the phone number (707)655-9896. He suggested that we met up at starbucks in Berkeley located on Shattuck Ave. Me and my friends met up with him and he showed us the ticket vouchers. They looked legit so we bought them. He was African American, about 6'1, and overweight. He told us that his name was issiah and that he worked for a program that brang underprivallaged youth to places like great america and sports games. We bought 3 passes off of him for $120.

On Saturday May 2nd, we travelled to Great america and when we tried to enter the park with the tickets, the supervisor confronted us and told us that the tickets were void due to the fact that the tickets were purchased by credit card fraud. I don't remember exactly what he said but im sure he said the words credit card and fraud. I was thinking maybe it would be more serious because it included fraud. I tried contacting the seller, he picked up and hung up right after i said hello. Ive tried calling the original poster and it goes right to voicemail.

Well now, im not entirely sure what to do. Getting my money back would be nice, but i doubt that will happen. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,
Jeff

You can contact your local police department, but don't expect them to do too much. Craigslist, eBay, and assorted list scams are too common for the police to investigate much. So, they might take your report, but you are out the money.

This is why one should almost always go through legitimate businesses for such purchases ... things are too risky through these other methods. $120 for three SEASON PASSES was too good to be true ... which means, it wasn't.

- Carl

Useful General Info

aznninja please contact me at your convenience, I might have some helpful general info on craiglist scams. 732-369-7916 Eastern Time Zone. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back