CPA Goofed ACH Payment to NYS Dept of Tax and Finance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladieluck

(I apologize in advance for the length of my post)

My cpa filed our married filing jointly New York State tax return last Saturday afternoon using a software called Greattax Pro. While she was filling out our taxes, she asked us if we would like to make a payment towards our tax liability. We agreed to make a partial payment of $800 towards our $2650 tax bill and gave her permission to make an ACH debit (online payment from my checking account). Later on that evening, I receive a phone call from the cpa stating that NYS Dept of Tax and Finance does not accept partial ach debits so we would have to mail in a check for $800 instead.

Yesterday afternoon (Tuesday), I checked my bank account and I noticed that $2650 was deducted, resulting in a negative balance and several overdraft fees. Of course, I contacted my cpa to find out what happened and she said that the tax prep software, Greattax Pro, allowed her to submit the $800 payment. However, the software company stated that an error message would have popped up rejecting the $800 payment and suggesting that the user either pay the entire tax amount or remove the payment. The company also said that the cpa must have input the entire tax liability. The software company is refusing to provide a letter stating that the cpa meant to input the $800 or provide screenshots and suggested that the cpa would need to contact the NYS Dept of Finance. However, because we did not authorize her as a third-party representative NYS Dept of Finance will not discuss our return with her.

My husband and I did not see what the cpa entered into the software and we did sign an authorization form allowing her to deduct funds from our account. However, our tax return says nothing about the $800 payment. NYS Dept of Tax and Finance is refusing to refund the money because, as they see it, my husband and I do owe NYS those funds and our return says nothing about the $800 request. The software company is refusing to take ownership because the error message warned the cpa to make an adjustment. The cpa is refusing to replace the money because she said that not only does she not have the funds, but it is also our fault for signing the tax returns.

To our embarrassment, we neglected to look at the cpa's computer screen as she was inputting our information. Our bank is willing to give us a temporary credit, but warns that if NYS Tax can prove that the bill is owed, the credit will be removed.

Suffice it to say, we will not use this cpa again in the future. What should we do?

(I apologize in advance for the length of my post)

My cpa filed our married filing jointly New York State tax return last Saturday afternoon using a software called Greattax Pro. While she was filling out our taxes, she asked us if we would like to make a payment towards our tax liability. We agreed to make a partial payment of $800 towards our $2650 tax bill and gave her permission to make an ACH debit (online payment from my checking account). Later on that evening, I receive a phone call from the cpa stating that NYS Dept of Tax and Finance does not accept partial ach debits so we would have to mail in a check for $800 instead.

Yesterday afternoon (Tuesday), I checked my bank account and I noticed that $2650 was deducted, resulting in a negative balance and several overdraft fees. Of course, I contacted my cpa to find out what happened and she said that the tax prep software, Greattax Pro, allowed her to submit the $800 payment. However, the software company stated that an error message would have popped up rejecting the $800 payment and suggesting that the user either pay the entire tax amount or remove the payment. The company also said that the cpa must have input the entire tax liability. The software company is refusing to provide a letter stating that the cpa meant to input the $800 or provide screenshots and suggested that the cpa would need to contact the NYS Dept of Finance. However, because we did not authorize her as a third-party representative NYS Dept of Finance will not discuss our return with her.

My husband and I did not see what the cpa entered into the software and we did sign an authorization form allowing her to deduct funds from our account. However, our tax return says nothing about the $800 payment. NYS Dept of Tax and Finance is refusing to refund the money because, as they see it, my husband and I do owe NYS those funds and our return says nothing about the $800 request. The software company is refusing to take ownership because the error message warned the cpa to make an adjustment. The cpa is refusing to replace the money because she said that not only does she not have the funds, but it is also our fault for signing the tax returns.

To our embarrassment, we neglected to look at the cpa's computer screen as she was inputting our information. Our bank is willing to give us a temporary credit, but warns that if NYS Tax can prove that the bill is owed, the credit will be removed.

Suffice it to say, we will not use this cpa again in the future. What should we do?

Doing something in this case would cost you far more than what the alleged error of this incompetent CPA has cost you.

Our laws don't prohibit stupidity!

You could hire a lawyer, but that'll cost you five or six times more than you could recover (assuming you recover anything).

You could sue her in small claims, but the most you'd probably recover would be her fees.

Then you'd spend time TRYING to enforce (collect) your judgment (assuming you could prevail).

You owed the $2,700 in question.

I see no way out, but to fund your account and prevent additional losses because of overdrafts and bank fees!

HINT: Next time use TurboTax! It is substantially less expensive and very effective!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back