Court petition

Genetics

Jurisdiction
Arizona
How do I go among seeking a court petition to have my mom ordered to rehab? I have been in contact with rehabs and they could not do anything to "force" her to go unless she is a threat to others or herself or has a court order. They suggested I look into obtaining one as she has been constantly getting out of control.

I am also looking for a type of lawyer (such as what kind of a lawyer handles this- Civil, criminal, etc?) to help out with this as I live in CA, and my mom lives in AZ.

Thanks in advance

You can start by consulting a lawyer in AZ who does family law, specifically adult conservatorship or guardianship. Seems like you want an involuntary commitment to rehab and it's doubtful that you will accomplish that without conservatorship or guardianship.

How do I go among seeking a court petition to have my mom ordered to rehab? I have been in contact with rehabs and they could not do anything to "force" her to go unless she is a threat to others or herself or has a court order. They suggested I look into obtaining one as she has been constantly getting out of control.

I am also looking for a type of lawyer (such as what kind of a lawyer handles this- Civil, criminal, etc?) to help out with this as I live in CA, and my mom lives in AZ.

Thanks in advance

There are laws that allow mentally ill persons to be evaluated, and possibly helped.

Unfortunately in this country, no state cares enough to see that addicts get the help they deserve and need.

Maybe these folks can help:

HOME

They really care, and are able to help many people.

Having someone legally declared a danger to themselves or others is no easy task.
If this is regarding alcoholism or drug use then your best option is likely to continue to persuade her to agree to go.
If there is a mental illness then your state/county will have resources to evaluate her and determine if any intervention is required.

Back