Corporate espionage threat by a cheating husband

Article 123

Jurisdiction
California
My husband was cheating on me (he was sleeping with his ex female colleague and also engaging in prostitution on his work trips along with his male colleagues), when he denied doing this, I saw his company laptop and forwarded cookies to see which prostitution services he used. He somehow retrieved the deleted email from company server and now he and his company are threatening me for corporate espionage; he is using this to negotiate money in divorce.
Its a Nasdaq traded company, and he is senior VP Finance and he has great clout with his boss;

I might have forwarded the cookies to my sibling to help me search prostitution service he used as I was devastated. Although I did not do anything with the data.

can he actually sue me for this?

can he actually sue me for this?

He can't sue you (at least not successfully). However, his employer might be able to sue you successfully if what you did caused some harm, and he certainly can report what you did to the appropriate law enforcement agency.

I would strongly suggest that you delete your post, which appears to be a public admission to criminal activity under a screen name that appears to be a real name, and then consult with the best divorce attorney you can afford.

He can't sue you (at least not successfully). However, his employer might be able to sue you successfully if what you did caused some harm, and he certainly can report what you did to the appropriate law enforcement agency.

I would strongly suggest that you delete your post, which appears to be a public admission to criminal activity under a screen name that appears to be a real name, and then consult with the best divorce attorney you can afford.

But I didn't use the information

What you describe is not a crime in California.
I wouldn't worry about it or even acknowledge his accusations.
If you are divorcing then I assume you have legal counsel. Rely on that counsel for guidance with this.

I don't see how any federal statute is in play over this.
A wife sent an email from a computer attempting to catch a cheating husband.
Based on the code section cited, it's (very remotely) possible, assuming that certain factors aligned. We have no evidence at all that has been presented that suggests that any of those factors exist in this thread.

It's kind of like pointing at a random car and saying "that car may have been used as a getaway car during a bank robbery." Well, yeah, I suppose it is possible, just as it is possible for any random car.

I don't see how any federal statute is in play over this.
A wife sent an email from a computer attempting to catch a cheating husband.

There is also no PROOF of a specific person sending the alleged communication.

A "person" ALLEGEDLY made an admission on a public website.
That alleged admission has never been investigated, much less proven true.

For all I know, the ALLEGED victim MIGHT have posed as the alleged perpetrator as a self serving attempt to defame an innocent spouse.

Furthermore, people come to this (and other sites) to pose hypotheticals, start rumors, and engage in what some might call "silly reindeer games".

In my humble opinion, not all who post on the millions of internet sites appear to be what some might call "of sound mind".

south park GIF on GIFER

Back