Copy of time card & payroll violations

Status
Not open for further replies.

mollyl

After conferring with my professional mentors and one of the state's departments, I resigned from my position as an accountant with a dealership due to the employer's unethical and illegal practices. Although I couldn't afford to lose the paycheck, it would be more costly, in the long run, for their practices to become attached to my name and my reputation.

During my employment, I did inform my immediate supervisor of my concerns regarding possible payroll violations. However, I was told to just leave things as they were, the issues were decisions of the owners.

Summary:

On many days, I know and even witnessed, some employees being too busy to take a lunch break. This was accurately reflected on their timecards. However, each week when the owner reviewed their timecards, he would handwrite in a 1/2 hour lunch.

If the punches on a timecard showed a break being 20 minutes or less, the owner would change it to a 30 minute break, in his handwriting.

One employee does not qualify for Salary Exempt status. To get around this, the owners paid him 40 hours regular time plus 13 hours overtime every week. No time cards or time records to back up these hours.

Several payroll deductions, instructed by management, but no written authorization by employee.

Questions:

1. Now I'm having my own ethical crisis? Is it my ethical duty to report these things (even though I'm no longer employed there) or do I just let it go, saying "good riddance"?

2. I have an upcoming interview with Unemployment to report why my resignation was good cause. Will the information I give in this interview be considered enough of a report?

3. An employee kept a copy of his own timecard where the owner scratched out the employee's handwritten 'no lunch' and wrote in a 1/2 hour.

This employee gave me permission to have a copy, personally, as well, in case I decide to report the violations. (this was before I resigned) Is it legal for me to have this copy in my possession and use it as part of my report? Can I use it as evidence for the Unemployment determination?

4. I also have questions about this employer's possible fraudulent behaviors with their finance company regarding if I have a duty to report it (or not) and how. Which forum do I use for that?

Thank you for your time and your contributions to this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back