Contract

Bime local

Jurisdiction
California
Hello, my concern is regarding a Taekwondo contract made 3 months ago, my children have been attending this place for over 1 year we had contracts in this same place on a month to month basis and 6 months. We decided to sign a 1 year contract because it would be cheaper. MY children were attending 5 times a week Monday, Wednesday and Fridays from 730 to about 10 o clock sometimes even 11 on Fridays, on Tuesday Thursdays they would attend from 630 to 9 o clock. Recently the owners said that the contract I signed was only for Monday, Wednesday and Fridays (which in no part f my contract states that) and for only 1 hour max (again not in my contract) he states his time is not valued and he checked other places and he's charging less. So now in order for my son to come Tuesday and Thursday I will have to pay 45 dollars and if my son wants to stay a extra hour Monday and wednesday I have to pay a total of 65 dollars additional to my original contract. My child competes in high level tournaments one is coming up and he is throwing this to all of the parents. For now my son may only come Monday, wednesday and Friday.m for 1 hoy only. Is this legal if under a contract he is changing dates, and adding more fees to the same training I initially signed the contract?. Thank you

No way to answer that question without reading your entire contract.

Feel free to post a copy here after you redact the identifying information.

Hope you kept a copy when you signed the new one.

I didn't read your contact, but you already said that the contact does not specifically address the concerned issues.

If you were being provided a certain level of service under the contract for a reasonable period of time I would expect you to continue to receive that service or be offered a new contract..

It sounds as if the owner is trying to modify terms.

What do you hope to achieve?

There is nothing in that contract that addresses the days of the week for lessons one way or the other.

There is, however, the following:

Enrollee acknowledges that rules and regulations governing the center have been adopted, and may change from time to time, and enrollee agrees to abide by all such rules and regulations as adopted or hereafter amended. The hours of operation may be changed at the discretion of the Center.

And:

The Center reserves the right to amend or add to these rules and conditions and to adopt new rules and conditions as it may deem necessary.

Seems to me that you have given the owners authority to do whatever they please regarding training your kids. Typical of these martial arts contracts. I've seen it before.

I do note that the word "renew" is checked at the top of the Membership Agreement so your previous contracts may have a bearing on the issue. Can you post them too.

my concern is regarding a Taekwondo contract made 3 months ago, my children have been attending this place for over 1 year we had contracts in this same place on a month to month basis and 6 months.

Not really following this run-on sentence. Do you have a month-to-month contract or a six-month contract? If the latter, how far into the six months are you? The contract you uploaded appears to be a one-year contract.

Is this legal if under a contract he is changing dates, and adding more fees to the same training I initially signed the contract?

I didn't read the contract carefully, but the two things I caught were as follows: (1) there is a reference to "scheduled hours of instruction." What are those? (2) It says the service provider can terminate at any time.

Seems to me that you have given the owners authority to do whatever they please regarding training your kids. Typical of these martial arts contracts.

Concur.

Back