Contract Valid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

needhelp5

1) When signing the contract, my roommate, who is my "immediate landloard" and not the owner of the property, prepared two copies of the paper, before we signed it. She had me sign her copy. Not sure if she signed her copy afterwards. Then she signed my copy; I did not sign my copy. So my copy only has her signature but not mine. So is our contract still valid? The contract was completely hand-written and edited a couple times at the time we signed it.

2) I don't think the owner of the property, whom my "immediate landlord" signed her lease with, offers her the right to sublease. So is the "lease contract" between my rooomate and I still valid? I may need to ask the owner to show proof of their contract.

1) When signing the contract, my roommate, who is my "immediate landloard" and not the owner of the property, prepared two copies of the paper, before we signed it. She had me sign her copy. Not sure if she signed her copy afterwards. Then she signed my copy; I did not sign my copy. So my copy only has her signature but not mine. So is our contract still valid? The contract was completely hand-written and edited a couple times at the time we signed it.

2) I don't think the owner of the property, whom my "immediate landlord" signed her lease with, offers her the right to sublease. So is the "lease contract" between my rooomate and I still valid? I may need to ask the owner to show proof of their contract.

"1-Did you foolishly sign one contract to sublet with a soon to be former friend?", asked army judge.

"Yes, that is what I did.", said needhelp5!

"2-Did you neglect or forget to sign the other contract to sublet?", asked army judge, again.

"Yes, that is also what happened. Doggone it, you're very good at this, dude!!!", said needhelp5!

"3-Does your soon to be former friend have a contract to sublet signed by you and her?", asked army judge, again.

"Yes, darn it, dude; you're scaring me now!!!!", said needhelp5!

"Here comes your answer, needhelp5," said army judge, "Yes, yes, you have a valid contract with your soon to be former friend! But, if the landlord (the one your former friend is renting her unit from does not approve) you may be able to wriggle off of your soon to be former friend's hook!"

Oh, one more thing, needhelp5.

I never sign both copies of the check when I pay my tab after dining at a restaurant.

Why?

You don't need to sign YOUR copy, needhelp5.

What would be the point of that? :dunno:

There would be no point.

You won't be able to wriggle off the hook because you don't have a copy with YOUR signature.

Your soon to be former friend has your signature on her/his copy.

That's valid, unless the REAL landlord doesn't allow subletting. :yes:

Last edited:
But our contract copies do not look the same.

Do I need to ask the ower to obtain their contract or will the court ask the owner for that if my immediaite lanlord does sue?

Do I need to ask the ower to obtain their contract or will the court ask the owner for that if my immediaite landlord does sue?

Do I need to ask the ower to obtain their contract or will the court ask the owner for that if my immediaite landlord does sue?

needhelp5, what are you TRYING to accomplish, or what do you WISH to have happen?

By the way, you don't need a signed lease to be entered into a contractual obligation for rental property.

How long have you lived with your soon to be former friend?

How much rent are you paying your soon to be former friend?

Are you current on your rent?

If not, how much are you behind in rent payments?

My rent started in late Aug, I just paid 1/3 of the rent for that month. Then I pay $480/mth. The contract is supposed to end by the end of this June. So since I moved in I have been staying here for about 5 months. There are 5 more months left. I always pay my rent at the beginning of each month and do not owe any rent for the time I have been staying.

I just want to find out

1) if the owner does not allow her to sublease, would the contract between her and me become invalid?
2) if our contract is not valid, then there is no way she can sue me if I move out before "contract" ends, is that correct?
3) does her contract with the owner need to state that 'sublease is not allowed' for her sublease to be invalid? If their contract does not say anything about sublease, does she still have the right to sublease?
4) I expect the worst case, if she does sue me, would be just to pay back the remaining 5 months rent, right?
5) how to get back my security deposit if I move out before "contract" ends and she does not return it by the end of 21 day period?

My rent started in late Aug, I just paid 1/3 of the rent for that month. Then I pay $480/mth. The contract is supposed to end by the end of this June. So since I moved in I have been staying here for about 5 months. There are 5 more months left. I always pay my rent at the beginning of each month and do not owe any rent for the time I have been staying.

Okay, so what do you want to do, move out and break the lease?

Have you spoken to your soon to be former friend about leaving?

What did she say?

Have you spoken to the REAL landlord?

If not, do so as soon as you can.

If she can't sublet, your lease is invalid.

You don't have to pay her.

But, don't expect to easily get your security deposit back.

If the REAL landlord says you can't sublet, I'd leave, just leave.

I'd leave as soon as I could.

I'd leave tonight or tomorrow.

But, I would never have sublet.

It doesn't matter, you can do three things.

You can stay and leave when your lease apparently expires.

Or, you can just walk away.

Or, you can try to negotiate a settlement with your soon to be former friend.

If you reach an agreement, get it in writing, pay what your soon to be former friend wants and leave.

Now, if you just walk away, there is very little your soon to be former friend can do.
Your soon to be soon to be former friend can bad mouth you to your circle of friends and associates.

This, I assure you your soon to be former friend will do!!!!

Your soon to be former friend will probably take you to small claims court.

This happens most of the time.

It could happen in your case.

If your soon to be former friend does prevail in court, a judgment will be awarded.

Then your soon to be former friend will have to try and collect the judgment.

That won't be easy, and rarely do these plaintiffs get their money.

But, if you lose as the the defendant, a black mark goes against your name.

You might find it difficult to rent from other landlords.

But, if your soon to be former friend does this, you can defend.

If what you say is true, you could win.

So, this is like rolling the dice on a craps table.

Sometimes you get a front line winner (7 or 11), and sometimes you crap out (3, 11, or 12)! :dunno:

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
She already did bad mouthed about me to my friends for me not being a good roommate. She was completely insane the other day and yelled at me and asked me to leave. That day we agreed upon the move out before "contract" terminates. But nothing is written. So that's why I put a notice at her door; she was out. Then I sent her a notice again via certified mail yesterday. From the day she requested me to leave to the end of this month, there are 30days already (1/2-1/31). So it was she who initiated the move out, verbally.She noticed that I was organizing my stuffs, she thought that I was about to leave ( i guess she did not believe I could take action so fast), she changed her mind and asked me to stay until she finds a roommate and pay rent for another month. I disagreed for 1) she always changed her mind; 2)she is too insane to stay with; 3) I don't know if she will verbally harass me again, or worse than that, do something to harm me; 4) I already gave 30days for both of us. After she knew I secured a place and ready to move out soon, she changed her mind and said she did not want to request me to leave, instead she wanted to make a deal with me. The deal was probably about solving her personal problem, since she believes that it was me who made this happen. She always blamed me for making her life unhappy and teaming up with her ex against her. I never know anyone in her social circle. I believe she has some mental issues. But police did not accept that I got injured in anyway, and she was not there when the officers came to our place, so no report was filed. I felt so threatened and unsafe to stay anymore. The officers suggested me moving out. They said if she does sue me, just explain what happened to the judge. This is the only thing they could do. But I'm afraid that my defense may be weak since every time she approached me one-on-one without a third person there. I don't know how to justify my move-out.

Okay, you have received the same answer from different sources.

Let me say again, dude, what I said before.

GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE AND RUN AS FAR AWAY FROM HER AS YOU CAN!!!!

If she sues you, do as the cops advised.

Her case isn't that strong.

Finally, do NOT tell her where you have gone.

Do NOT tell anyone where you have gone.

Do NOT have any more contact with her, or any of her pals.

Forget about the deposit.

You've been mooching off her for months, anyway.

GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE AS FAST AS YOU CAN!

Leave when she is NOT around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back