1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Content posted on a forum lifted by a media website that generates ad revenue

Discussion in 'Copyright, Trademark, Patent Law' started by Dexter K, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Dexter K

Dexter K Law Topic Starter New Member

Hello. First time posting. I made a thread on a message board which was blatantly taken and barely re-worded by a pretty major media gossip website.

I posted content about an ongoing local news story regarding a rap music/gang feud detailing some things including various links to news stories and youtube videos. Basically I summarized a lot of amateur investigative reporting I did on the issue.

The gossip website posted almost an exact copy of the thread I made in the form of an article and barely changed anything about it. They had the same links in the same order I did with almost the same descriptions.

They get millions of hits daily and are generating ad revenue off the content I put together.

Do I have any case for any legal compensation here? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. justblue

justblue Well-Known Member

What state?

3. Dexter K

Dexter K Law Topic Starter New Member

I am in FL.

4. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Hard to tell. There doesn't seem to be any doubt that your material has copyright protection. However, you apparently posted it without any intent for financial gain so I think you may have a problem proving monetary damages.

If your theory is that you should share in their revenue as punishment for their plagiarism, I'll have to defer to one of the attorneys that participate here.

Wouldn't hurt to consult an intellectual property attorney.

Dexter K likes this.
  5. mightymoose

mightymoose Moderator

It might be worth reviewing the terms of use on the message board you used. The information you posted may no longer have been yours.

Dexter K likes this.
  6. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

Unlikely. What do the terms of service say about the extent to which you grant a license to use whatever you post?