contempt denied can I refile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LisaDW

My attorney filed a contempt charge against my husband for liquidating all our retirement funds and not accounting for what he did with it, four months after I filed for divorce. During trial the judge denied the motion. My husband refused to testify unless he had an attorney. I am now divorced. Can I file the contempt charge again? That's all the savings/retirement money I had and I am 60 years old. If so, would I file in family law or civil court? If nothing else, can I file in small claims and be happy to get anything?
Also, he invested a majority of the money in his LLC (medical building). Married 30 years, building bought 10 years ago, it was joined to the marriage property.My husband said it was our retirement. My attorney said I would have to pay my part of the mortgage and taxes etc if I wanted my money back that my husband invested (until it sold). I don't care about owning the building, but I was a major (without my knowledge) investor in the LLC. I feel as an investor I deserve my money back upon the sell of the building. My attorney said no because I had no money to pay the buildings upkeep until it sales. This makes no sense to me. Can I file a motion in civil court as an investor? What can I do to get my retirement back?

What was the reason for the denial?

Generally speaking, once the matter is decided that's that - unless the judge actually made an error of law.

Have you asked your attorney about this?

The judge wanted to hear my husband's testomony. Although he was given 3 months to get an attorney he did not have one yet. My attorney wanted to go ahead with the trial anyway. The judge refused to accept our evidence and denied our motion.
I am on my own now and would like to find a way to get my retirementr money back.

Okay, so your husband is being given a chance to state his case.

That's fair.

You'll have to wait until the matter is heard; it hasn't been dismissed so it's still open.

OP, were you employed outside the household full-time during the marriage?

How many years were you married?

If you were employed, how many years of the martiage did you maintain said employment?

What percentage of the annual household budget did you contribute via your earnings?

Don't bother answering here, OP, the questions weren't intended to embarrass or congratulate you. The answers you provide to yourself can be a predictor of how well your lawsuit could do!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back