Constant neighbor complaints/ accusations of illegal activity

GingerLilly

Hi, I hope to get some legal advice on what to do here.

I live in a condo building and own my apartment and my neighbor constantly accuses me of marijuana smoke. I have never smoked in my apartment and I'm tired of being accused of this. He complains of everything from noise to food and now it's turned into accusing me of something illegal which I don't want to take lightly. I'm very respectful and have grown up living in multiple dwelling units so I feel I'm doing my best to be mindful. I don't turn my tv on at night because he's complained of noise even on the lowest setting. I rarely cook because he's complained of food smells (we made a handmade pasta one night when friends were over). I feel I am almost a prisoner in my own home that I worked very hard for and have made changes to my lifestyle to accommodate him and now he is accusing me of illegal activity in my home. I'm very frustrated and at my wits end. I have documentation that proves several times he has made the complaint I haven't even been home. I am lost. I feel uncomfortable in my space. I asked the management to please call the police next time as I'm tired of this and feel it's harassment. (I would much rather prefer having an officer come inside my home and prove me right than deal with the constant complaints.) The board knows about the situation and I feel they are looking at me side eyed instead of trying to help/support me as if they have already made up their mind. I'm exhausted.

It's causing me much stress. What should I do? I hate that someone is making me feel I need to tip toe around my own apartment I worked my butt off 17+ years for!

Ignore him. Seriously. Watch TV, cook meals, live in your home. You don't say you have been cited for anything, so chalk it up to a pain in the neck neighbor and ignore him.

I would ignore the neighbor as much as possible. If they are ignored, many times eventually they will get tired of complaining & it will end. The other option would be to ask if you could move to another apt. if one is available but I doubt you want to do that. Good luck.

Back