Constant harassment by Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

azzman52

I've worked for 13 years at a retail store, in the automotive repair field. Since 2006 I have been inflicted with severe nerve damage in my legs from ulcerated sores. My Doctor wrote an order that has been given to my Owner, that I must have 1 hour per workday break where I can get off of my feet. My usual workday is 9 hours. Within the last year to present, my Owner constantly makes harrassing comments to me and in front of fellow workers and worse yet, my customers about me taking a break during a work day. He calls them my 'nappy time', and I feel berated and demoralized due to his constant abrasive behavior. I asked my doctor if it is still necessary for me to take a break, she said I must for my own health, and volunteered to call my owner to clarify the order. When I asked my owner, if he would accept a call from my doctor, he stated it wasn't necessary, but the very next day he was back at making fun of me again, in front of customers and fellow employees.
My question is, does this give me grounds to file charges for harrassment regarding a handicapped employee?
Thanks for any advice.

Oh yes absolutely. Contact an attorney. What state are you in?

I'm in Illinois.
My doctor had written this excuse on a prescription form. Should I ask for a writen letter to give to my employer also? Would that help strenghten my case?
If I do pursue this, I imagine I'll be terminated as well or am I protected by the law?
Thankyou for all.

I'm in Illinois.
My doctor had written this excuse on a prescription form. Should I ask for a writen letter to give to my employer also? Would that help strenghten my case?
If I do pursue this, I imagine I'll be terminated as well or am I protected by the law?
Thankyou for all.
No the doctors note is sufficient since the employer obviously believes it. Contact an attorney who will probably refer you to the Illinois Human Rights commission http://www.state.il.us/dhr/ if he sees cause. Legally they can not fire you from filing a complaint or seeking legal action. Some company's have H.R Dept's that should be exhausted before filing but an attorney when presented with the facts will tell you if that is wise or not.

One other thing there is a myth circulating around the Internet by less than credible websites, that a doctors note has no force of law. That is far from the truth, especially when litigation arises.

Last edited:
Your welcome good luck. Make sure you let him know you just want to stop being harassed,and want to keep your job. That should be easier to achieve than full blown litigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back