Consecutive hours/days

Terrie312

Jurisdiction
Georgia
The company I work for requires us to do mandatory overtime on a daily/weekly basis. The longest consecutive time I've been required to work without a day off was right at 3 months. I can't seem to find anything requiring them to give employees off as much as 1 day a month.. Is there something out there that I'm overlooking?

The company I work for requires us to do mandatory overtime on a daily/weekly basis. The longest consecutive time I've been required to work without a day off was right at 3 months. I can't seem to find anything requiring them to give employees off as much as 1 day a month.. Is there something out there that I'm overlooking?

No, you are not overlooking anything. Your employer can have you work as many hours/days in a row as they need you to. There are some state/federal exceptions re max. hours/days you can be required to work in a row for minors & such jobs as long haul trucker & airline pilot. (due to safety concerns) There could, in some cases, be a CBA or other binding employment contract limiting hrs./days worked in a row.

Unfortunately, in your state and far too many others (IMO) with the exceptions Betty has noted above, you could be asked to work 24/7/365 and it would be legal. It would be impossible, but as long as you were paid for all the overtime it would not violate a single labor or employment law.

Ridiculous, I agree, but true.

Back