Connecticut car tax

blondeinfl

Jurisdiction
Connecticut
I moved from Connecticut to Florida in 2005 . I received a bill from a collector for car tax from 2004. It was originally $275. With all the interest & fees it's now almost $1,000. I don' remember receiving it. Also the address is differernt. I am willing to pay the $275 but the interest is crazy. Why wait 14 yrs! I read the statue of limitations is 15 yrs
I spoke to both The town assessor who said they couldn't do anything because it went to collections. The collection agency said CT doesn't settle on taxes. You must pay it in full.
Should I consult a lawyer?
Has anyone else had this happen?

When did you receive it.

Different than what?

Yes.
It was an addess that I never lived at.
I received a letter from a collection agency in Rhode Island . The letter was dated for June 6 2018 & said I had 30 days to respond. The original amount was $275, collection fee $118 & interest almost $600!!!

I received a letter from a collection agency for a CT car tax back from 2004. The original bill was for $275; now 14 yrs later , with interest & the collection fee of $115 it's almost $900. I am willing to pay the original bill because I did move & not inform the dept of motor vech.my new address which is out of state. All the laws in CTnstate I have to pay all the interest no exceptions. If I had to move back I couldn't register a car until paid in full. Anyone have any advice or have an outcome with a similar issue. I asked this question a few weeks ago & all the replies said don't pay or its a scam, I was hoping someone with tax knowledge or had a similar issue would reply

I moved from Connecticut to Florida in 2005 . I received a bill from a collector for car tax from 2004. It was originally $275. With all the interest & fees it's now almost $1,000. I don' remember receiving it. Also the address is differernt. I am willing to pay the $275 but the interest is crazy. Why wait 14 yrs! I read the statue of limitations is 15 yrs
I spoke to both The town assessor who said they couldn't do anything because it went to collections. The collection agency said CT doesn't settle on taxes. You must pay it in full.

Google it, Bing it, or Yahoo it....

Thousands of people are being stalked for the loot.

Hiring a lawyer would cost you at least $2,500 or more to attempt to defeat the $1,000 $CAM.

Not much you can do, except never live in a state similar to CT.

Beware the many gubmint $CAM$

You may not have to do anything.
You could simply ignore the letter.

You are being contacted by a collection agency, not a government entity. The state of CT is apparently not looking for you.

Receipt of a bill in the mail does not necessarily require any action at all on your part. By making phone calls or otherwise returning contact you let the collector know that the right person has been found and the contact will increase until you pay. If you are dead to them they tend to go away.

It's not a scam . I do owe the $275 car tax. But the interest just keeps adding up, especially 14yrs later! Connecticut has laws that state that the interest has to be paid in full. Also you have to know that if you live there you have to pay car tax each year. There are no exceptions. I spoke to the tax assessor in CT & there isn't any thing to do but pay it.
As for the collection agency , they do not settle any tax bills like they do for credit cards.
I've seen many articles / forums about this issue but no one has an answer except you have to pay the car tax w/ all the interest. I'm sure if I got a lawyer they would say the same thing.
This is a costly lesson learned

At $300 per hour that hardly makes sense.

Why wait 14 yrs! I read the statue of limitations is 15 yrs

Then just ignore it and hope you skate for another year. Collection agencies don't like to spend money to get money so there is a good chance that they aren't going to sue after all this time.

Lots of people. CT is notorious for doing this to former residents.

I was going through alot at the time. I had to move out of state quickly & forgot about sending my plates back. Not sure why it took them 14yrs to find me. I told them i would pay the$275 tax, but not the interest.

Statute of limitations for what exactly? Where did you read it?
I found it on line of course.
The tax collector can enforce payment.of property tax for up to 15 yrs after tbe original date.
A collection agency is involved so I cannot pay the Tax collector anymore. I must pay the collection agency a few , interest in addiion to the original amount. So I owe almost $900 !

Owing money does not necessarily equate to being required to pay.
If you have contacted this collecting agency and made an offer to pay you may have harmed yourself.
They will gladly take anything you offer to pay and continue to hound you for the rest.
If you make any payment at all you may set the clock back to day 1.

Do whatever makes you feel most comfortable about this, but know that you are apparently not in a position where you are required to pay one penny.

If you have acknowledged this collection agency you can expect them to continue after you. It would have been best to keep quiet.

A collection agency is involved so I cannot pay the Tax collector anymore. I must pay the collection agency a few , interest in addiion to the original amount. So I owe almost $900 !

<==========================================================>

You live in Florida, one of four very debtor friendly states.
The other three are Texas, Tennessee, and Nevada.

It is very difficult, if not impossible for a private creditor, even a government creditor, to attach your wages, bank account, personal property, and no one will be able to levy against real estate forcing you out of your home to collect a lousy couple of G's.

Of course you can be scared into paying the scammer whatever tribute demanded of you. In fact, scammers are pleased when their marks just cough up the loot, just because tribute is demanded.

If you pay $5.00, the SOL will no longer protect you.

A 15 year old debt is time barred from being collected.
That isn't to say you didn't at one time owe the money, but if the debt isn't collected (or you're sued) in a timely manner, the SOL bars anyone from suing you or legally collecting any of the money.

CT SOL:
Connecticut Statute of Limitations on Debt Collection
Written contact, or on a simple or implied contract: 6 years, (CGS 52-576)

Oral contract, including any agreement wherein the party being charged has not signed a note or memorandum: 3 years, (CGS § 52- 581)

Connecticut Statute of Limitations on Debt Collection | CT Debt Laws

The ALLEGED debt became legally uncollectable about 8 or 9 years ago.
That is why the debt scavengers are hounding you, to scare dollars out of wallet into their fat purses.

Yes, you can GIFT them the loot, or you can block them, tear up their scary letters, and live your life protected by the SOL.

If the creditor, the greedy State of CT, had a case; you would have been sued by now.

Even a lawsuit is impossible against you, unless someone sues you in FL.

Live your life, stop worrying, it's a scam.
Don't be bullied, don't be fooled, only respond to documents issued by a federal court, or a state court in Florida.

Otherwise, you don't owe these greedy bums one copper penny.

<==========================================================>

You live in Florida, one of four very debtor friendly states.
The other three are Texas, Tennessee, and Nevada.

It is very difficult, if not impossible for a private creditor, even a government creditor, to attach your wages, bank account, personal property, and no one will be able to levy against real estate forcing you out of your home to collect a lousy couple of G's.

Of course you can be scared into paying the scammer whatever tribute demanded of you. In fact, scammers are pleased when their marks just cough up the loot, just because tribute is demanded.

If you pay $5.00, the SOL will no longer protect you.

A 15 year old debt is time barred from being collected.
That isn't to say you didn't at one time owe the money, but if the debt isn't collected (or you're sued) in a timely manner, the SOL bars anyone from suing you or legally collecting any of the money.

CT SOL:
Connecticut Statute of Limitations on Debt Collection
Written contact, or on a simple or implied contract: 6 years, (CGS 52-576)

Oral contract, including any agreement wherein the party being charged has not signed a note or memorandum: 3 years, (CGS § 52- 581)

Connecticut Statute of Limitations on Debt Collection | CT Debt Laws

The ALLEGED debt became legally uncollectable about 8 or 9 years ago.
That is why the debt scavengers are hounding you, to scare dollars out of wallet into their fat purses.

Yes, you can GIFT them the loot, or you can block them, tear up their scary letters, and live your life protected by the SOL.

If the creditor, the greedy State of CT, had a case; you would have been sued by now.

Even a lawsuit is impossible against you, unless someone sues you in FL.

Live your life, stop worrying, it's a scam.
Don't be bullied, don't be fooled, only respond to documents issued by a federal court, or a state court in Florida.

Otherwise, you don't owe these greedy bums one copper penny.

Hi ArmyJudge,

The only thing I'm worried about is that I have family in CT & if something happens & I have to move back there I won't be able to register a car. I wonder if after 15 years the back tax would still show up?
Also if I did make payments to the collection agency I would still be paying next year when the 15 years is up.
On the letter i received on June 4th it says "if you notify this office in writing within 30 days from receiving this notice, this office will : obtain verification of the debt or obtain a copy of a judgement & mail you a copy of such judgement or verification." Do you know why they would use the word judgement?
I haven' sent anything in writing but unfortunately I did call them to see if I could settle for just the original tax $ 275, so as a previous poster said was not a good thing to do since now they know they have the right person. They do not settle Tax bills like they sometimes do credit cards.

I hope you are right about me being in Florida that I won't be sued or have my pay wages garnished since it's out of state. Thanks again for all the info you provided.

What guarantee do you have that even if you paid the full amount demanded by the scammers, that CT would get $1.00, or that CT would lift any restrictions on you owning a car in that state?

There are far too many holes in the scammer's story to drop as much as one dime on those thieves.

Also if I did make payments to the collection agency I would still be paying next year when the 15 years is up.

Probably, because once they get $5.00, they'll try to get $500, then $5,000.
You are protected by the SOL.
Only you can cause that protection to be removed.

I hope you are right about me being in Florida that I won't be sued or have my pay wages garnished since it's out of state.

Its NOT about me being right, mate.

Its about the laws of the state of FL.

AS mighty moose said, these scammers don;t want to chase you down for loot, or fight you in court for loot, they want to scare the loot out of your wallet into their wallets.

Easy money is their goal, not a money fight.

The only thing I'm worried about is that I have family in CT & if something happens & I have to move back there I won't be able to register a car.

Many things could happen tomorrow, next month, next year, or five years from now.

You can't live your life on what MIGHT happen, only on what is happening.

Sure, someone could get ill in CT, but you are free to visit the state.

You wouldn't need to relocate to the CT to help an ill or inform person.

Even if you are a physician, you're not a rehab center or hospital, so not much you could do to help an ailing person, other than offer financial and moral support.

Nothing but a nuclear holocaust could get me to live in any state north of the Mythical Mason-Dixon Line, or any state where it snows from October to April or May.

But, hey, that's me, I'm weird.

Connecticut statue of limitations on debt collections

You can find lots of information online

I too found the 15 year statute for motor vehicle property taxes, but that still does not change what was said above.
The state is not pursuing you . You are not obligated to do anything at all. Whatever you do is entirely voluntary. Most people choose to keep their money.

Back