Confiscation of commission--then give away

Status
Not open for further replies.

awc222

We recently received our new policy and guidelines document. I am in in-home sales and we are required to do a physical follow-up to check installation and to have the customer fill in the questionnaire and ask for referrals. $25 of our commission was held until that was done. We had one year to complete that.

Well, too many salespersons were falling behind and occasionally we had a service call. The service personnel complained that if they had had the follow up information their work would be "easier".

So now the rule is that all follow-ups must be completed and half of our commission (hundreds of dollars) would be held for thirty days. After that the follow up wages 'will' (!) be assigned to another salesperson to collect in full. The assigned person's ID would not be given and no accounts provided to indicate where the money has gone.

To encourage the customer to let us in their house soon, we are to instruct them of a '30-day' service warranty (implying that their warranty would be void after that). They have a ten-year service warranty from the factory at time of install, so it is dishonest.

But my question is how can they think they can hold our commission for thirty days and then assign it to another. There are too many cases where getting back into a house is impossible. I have customers who live in FL or Chicago among other outside locations.

If they do hold our wages, what avenue do we have to address this issues on legal grounds?

I have mentioned this to others but the notion is that it is so outlandish that no one can state a precedent.

Thank you.
(name withheld, too)

Last edited:
additional thoughts

TManagement had presented the sales force (13) with data showing how many follow-ups we each lacked since January. Mine was at 20, but when I checked the list of customers accompanying the data, I immediately checked off 13 that I had already turned in and two were out of state till summer (cottage owners) and the remaining five were within the last six weeks.

Other sales persons gave likewise stories. But, these data were sumbitting to ownership to justifiy these new measures.

I was told by another source that we need to wait until they actually do what the policy states (give our commission to another) and that until then, it is little more than an idle threat.

Nonetheless, the fact that it is in the policy is extremely intimidating and threatening. I don't have a problem doing my follow-ups and I don't want to 'test the waters', but sooner or later, all of us have difficulty getting back into folks homes.

Thank you for your input.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back