concerned criminal background check

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysticblu21

Hello,

3 years ago i got 2 tickets(one for open container and the other was possesion of cannabis) in Richmond, Virginia. These were Class 4 midemeanors that were first offenses and the outcome was "nolle prosequi"....since then i've graduated from college and i'm really concerned about when i'm applying for jobs in USA, currently in North Carolina, will it come up that i have a criminal record when companies do a background check on me??....and if it does, because the outcome was nolle prosequi would that work to my advantage?....i really appreciate any advice

kind regards,
worried 25 year old female trying to find employment

These may or may not show up.

However, there is an answer: You tell the prospective employer first!

To add to what the seniorjudge said, run a criminal background check on your name online from a third party and from the state's website were the charges were filed(each state has an official site you can check records….find out). If it is clean then you can say no. Some tickets in such circumstances shows up some don't...........hard to understand the protocol in such charges. If it shows up, find out from a local lawyer when you will be eligible to expunge the records if necessary...........Some states require you wait for the SOL to expire first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back