Computer Automated Dispatch(CAD) EMS question

D Brown

Jurisdiction
South Carolina
I have an employee that clocked out of work to go pick up his wife and son after they got into an accident. He returned to work 1 1/2hrs later with no police report or hospital report. He clocked back in and continue working that day. Can we legally check the CAD system or call police departments to see if his wife actually got into an accident? Or is that a breach of privacy & illegal?

You can make a SC Public records request but you may not get something useful. They likely don't necessarily have the information you are looking for. I've been involved with several 911 dispatch systems over the years, and why we record the caller ID, sometimes the caller's name, and the location, we wouldn't have the name of victims or the vehicle ID. The police might have it if the accident was severe enough to make a report or EMS if the people were treated/transported. However, there are some exemptions to the PR act that would likely apply here.

But if you got the information or not, so what?

What obligation does he have to prove to you he was telling the truth. Whether he is telling the truth or not, or you can verify it or not, is largely immaterial to whether you can take job action against him or not (that involves information you haven't presented).

He returned to work 1 1/2hrs later with no police report or hospital report.

I'd be at least a little surprised if a police report would be available so quickly. Did you ask the employee to provide a copy? I'm not sure what you mean by "hospital report," but if he was only gone 90 minutes, it seems unlikely anyone visited the hospital.

Can we legally check the CAD system

To my knowledge, the acronym "CAD" means computer-assisted drawing. I assume that's not what you intended, so I have no idea what system you're talking about or whether you may legally check it.

or call police departments to see if his wife actually got into an accident?

Nothing wrong with that.

Query whether you really have so little trust in this employee. After all, he was only gone 90 minutes and was clocked out.

CAD = Computer Assisted Dispatch. I've worked for a company that builds them. I've also been involved in departments that use them.

CAD = Computer Assisted Dispatch. I've worked for a company that builds them. I've also been involved in departments that use them.
So is it legal for them to look in the CAD without that employee's permission? I'm not the one trying to do this. It's my boss trying to do it to one of my coworkers

You can make a SC Public records request but you may not get something useful. They likely don't necessarily have the information you are looking for. I've been involved with several 911 dispatch systems over the years, and why we record the caller ID, sometimes the caller's name, and the location, we wouldn't have the name of victims or the vehicle ID. The police might have it if the accident was severe enough to make a report or EMS if the people were treated/transported. However, there are some exemptions to the PR act that would likely apply here.

But if you got the information or not, so what?

What obligation does he have to prove to you he was telling the truth. Whether he is telling the truth or not, or you can verify it or not, is largely immaterial to whether you can take job action against him or not (that involves information you haven't presented).
That's what I'm trying to find out. Cause it's our boss trying to do that to a coworker. I'm asking for the legality of it cause the worker is hourly, he got approval to clock out, he returned to work in 90 minutes, this is the ONLY time he's ever left work or missed any work, he's always on time & leaves on time, no issues with work performance, etc. The literal ONLY thing is he left that day cause his wife was in a fender bender. My boss said he checked the CAD & called police departments and he said they told him nothing was filed. So he doesn't believe the employee & thinks the employee went out to possibly buy drugs (even though this employee has never exhibited any flags that he was on drugs). The only thing the boss has on him is that he went out then and claims he looked & didn't see any info. That's why I'm wondering if that's legal and if the employee can sue? Cause he spoke to the employee with the door open, called the employee a liar & druggie in front of another woman & with the door open, and claimed he "followed" the employee to a gas station where he didn't pump gas or go inside. Just went there, stopped for a minute, then left. The boss sounds crazy but I'm wanting to know if the employee it able to legally do something to the boss/business for this

So is it legal for them to look in the CAD without that employee's permission?

I would assume it's a law enforcement system. No? If so, how is it that your employer has the ability to look at this system?

If your employer has the legal right to access the system, then then I don't see any potential privacy issue.

My suggestion is that you mind your own business and not get involved between an employee and a boss who apparently doesn't trust/like the employee.

I'm wondering if that's legal

It is.

and if the employee can sue?

The employee would have nothing to sue for.

It's legal for an employer to be an RA.

Cause he spoke to the employee with the door open, called the employee a liar & druggie in front of another woman & with the door open,

"Liar" is an opinion, not generally actionable.

"Druggie" may rise to the level of defamation. Might be worth co-worker having a chat with a defamation attorney.

So is it legal for them to look in the CAD without that employee's permission? I'm not the one trying to do this. It's my boss trying to do it to one of my coworkers

You might want to stay as far away from this as humanly possible.

Screenshot_20231020-185101_Opera.png
6fe62b5d5e7c0d7cc07ea8f312494fdb.jpg
fb6adcf39bca3a32562c897541d1a12b.jpg

Back