Complicated, we had business together, please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadlittlex

Hello,
I appreciated any help at all... I was with my husband for 4 years and 8 months and we are now getting a divorce. I will preface this by saying we have no children and he wants me to leave with nothing but the furniture.

THERE ARE TWO BUSINESSES WE HAD TOGETHER--
BUSINESS ISSUE 1:
We are both actors. Throughout the past 6 years I have helped him in his career immensely, increasing his booking ratio and bigger better roles. I did this by coaching (for auditions), diligent emotional support, resume writing, letter writing, headshot photographer, postcards, carer and image choices, IMDB database corrections/advertising, fixing his computer etc. (All in addition to working on my own career, cooking and cleaning the house.)
When I met him he had nothing but a motorcycle and his credit was shabby. Now he has 4 dogs, our house, a motorcycle, a $600 a month truck, and almost perfect credit... he had four movies come out this year and two tv shows (one episode.)
After his manager took her percentage and taxes came out, our current living situation has been rough. Together we made $50,000 gross, most of which was his income.
After I leave, the residuals from these jobs will continue on.
Also, it's hard to discern how my help will effect future employment but since I've increased the status of his reel and resume, the industry will no doubt give him bigger roles as that's how the whole game plays out. The possibility of him getting a series regular role is very, VERY high.
Just because I was capable and willing to wear all these hats, doesn't mean it should be free. We knew we had marriage trouble and the agreement was that we were going to try to work it out until he had the series regular role, and then we'd divorce and that if my career hadn't "happened" yet, he would help me out.
He has never reciprocated all the help I've given him because he is too impatient to coach, not very technically savvy, etc. The last time he tried to help me coach, he told me he hated to watch me act and I learned my lesson. Throughout this relationship, my general cheery nature has diminished and it's been harder for me to get work. (They like women who smile.)

BUSINESS 2
For the last 5 years we also have spent a HUGE amount of time trying to get a movie that he co-wrote with his partner produced. The roles I played in that were: administrator, co-producer, secretary, director and coach. I brought professionalism plus helped refine the story and it has come very close to being financed. I put my own projects aside in order to help this one come to fruition.
It doesn't look like we'll be able to get along well enough to work on this project together even though we wanted to.
I'm not sure what to ask for with this issue either.

I am severely fatiqued from this relationship.
Right now he's decided to join a biker gang, is extremely verbally abusive, and is generally angry all the time, sudden ANGRY OUTBURSTS with me so I need to be able to leave soon. He refuses to talk, cuts me off, etc.
I NEVER cheated in this marriage and was dependable. I have no money, because he took most of what I made for the bills. (He's even asking for my half of the stimulus check to pay household bills while I try to pull it together to leave.) He called me a whore when I said I wanted the small dog which was supposed to be mine in the first place. He told me I'll be sorry if I try to get alimony. My credit is bad and no jobs lined up. Lastly, he almost never touched me... I am 36 years old and the chances of my having a baby have decreased.

I don't want to see him crushed but I also want what's fair. I'm not sure what would happen if I leave the house (which is upside down, )liability wise, etc. I'm not sure if he will leave town and be hard to contact.
Once again, I really appreciate ANY help at all.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that he did get me a couple managers and one agent, but they weren't very strong (like his representation) and no work came of it. Also he tried to take my headshots but acted nervous and angry before we took them so they're not really usable.
He did pay for the groceries and pay most of the bills which I am grateful for, but ALL of my money was taken too for the bills.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back